Your best waterfall photo

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice Kyle :up: :up:
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

This is a beauty Kyle...some day I'm going to figure out how to get a shot like that. :)
Where is this falls?
Mikell
natedogg828
Rookie

Here is one of my favorites shots I have taken of Lower Taughannock Falls during a period of low flow.
Lower Tfalls higher perspective.JPG
Lower Tfalls higher perspective.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 3936 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I don't take very many. So, yeah. Here's mine. I like it because it's colorful and moody. Peering in, yet remaining detached.

Honeoye Falls
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I confess I could be accused of posting my 'favorite' as opposed to 'best', but I'll take my sentence if guilty... I think this may be my 'best' not necessarily for the photographic qualities of the picture but for the story behind it.

I'd planned a camping trip around a route that featured six waterfalls. Total trip for two days was ~110 miles on the bike, hauling a trailer with my camping gear in it. From the starting point it was 36 miles to the first waterfalls I'd mapped out.

When I arrived at the so called GPS coordinates all I could see from the road was a flash of white through the pine trees, but I could hear the falls. The roadside was posted about every 15 feet 'NO TRESPASSING' - 'KEEP OUT' - 'PATROLLED BY COUNTY SHERIFF' - 'GUARDED BY PIRATES' (OK, I made up the last one.) But you get the picture.

Sorely disappointed I started looking for a place that might be the owner's residence. I rang the doorbell at one house, but no answer. Literally just as I started to ride away a man pulled up to the property and parked in the garage. To shorten the story, he gave me permission to take pictures of the falls with some warnings about being careful around the falls.

I had to walk up the stream to get to the falls, and in the process took a puncture in the leg from a sharp rock when I slipped. Figures. Everything turned out ok though because the leg only fell off once since then. Fortunately the owner wasn't outside to see the mess I made of myself when I got back on the bike and headed back the way I came.

I headed back instead of going on with my ride because the owner had told me the weather forecast called for pretty heavy rains, probably more than my tent would stand up to. And the campground I'd planned to stay had closed and kicked everybody out. I decided to listen to the owner's advice and head for home.

Lucky I did, because that evening Hurricane Irene hit NY, and I just managed to get to my car when the rain started. If I'd continued, my route back the next day would have been under water. And I hate it when that happens.
Attachments
S4012472a.jpg
S4012472a.jpg (231.4 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Kelly wrote:I don't take very many. So, yeah. Here's mine. I like it because it's colorful and moody. Peering in, yet remaining detached.

Honeoye Falls
Looks like you were hiding in the bushes. Practicing your stalking?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Jeduthan wrote:
Sorely disappointed I started looking for a place that might be the owner's residence. I rang the doorbell at one house, but no answer. Literally just as I started to ride away a man pulled up to the property and parked in the garage. To shorten the story, he gave me permission to take pictures of the falls with some warnings about being careful around the falls.
That's great the timing was right and you were able to snap that awesome photo.
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

WOW! Everyone's pictures in here are just so beautiful to view. I try my best to capture something similar with my point & shoot camera, (Coolpx P510). This one was taken last month and I think it's my best so far? !!
Falls 166 Eml.JPG
Falls 166 Eml.JPG (127.51 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
Comments welcome!
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban