Your best waterfall photo

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I was just asked to provide my "best"... crap... I don't even know. I have my favorites for sure, but those are emotionally tied to my experiences at the scene. What makes a waterfall photo "best" -- is it its technical capture? Its mass appeal? Mix of colors? True-to-nature representation?

What is your definitive best? Show it and tell why.

And if anyone has any ideas on what I should be looking for in mine, I'm all ears.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Shouldn't you provide yours then as a starter? ;)
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

Going through mine now... narrowing it to ten... (I was actually asked for 10), but created this for inspiration.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I guess I would have to go with my one(s) from Lick Brook when I got ridiculous waterflow. Still to this day I don't think I've seen a picture with as much water there. It was a great memorable day, perfect conditions, new place.
Matt
President
President

Excellent. Love how it plans out at the bottom and comes at the viewer... Excellent aspect ratio, and the main falls, just off-center, has the perfect placement. Everything is sharp, from near to far, and the color looks like early spring... reminds me of a nice creekwalk. Well done, Matt.
Matt
President
President

My favorite will probably change.
Recent compliments and several orders for this particular print has convinced me it's my best. For me, it represents one of my most fruitful years photographing (2010) and I was really in the swing of things. This shot is the combination of three exposures, and I bumped the brightness (yeah... brightness) to reduce shadows and lighten the spirit of the image. I don't know those two people. But they were standing perfectly still long enough for me to shoot off several long exposures. The credit goes to them.

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Matt, yes that's sweet. You have many fantastic shots.

This one has the most hits on Flickr and I just really love this area just south of Albany. So rugged and full of fantastic waterfalls.

Fawn's Leap by ApproachingLight, on Flickr
Matt
President
President

excellent selection!
The shutter for the water is perfectly timed, and the details in the rock is crisp and varied in color. There's a lot of depth and the shadows add a bit of mystery. It looks like dusk, but the top of the photo reveals it's daytime. :up: