August Photo Challenge: Symmetry

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The purpose of these challenges is to encourage us to get out and get the best shot of an assigned subject. It's a great way to enhance your photography skills.
Even if you think you take crappy pictures, please join in. Those of you just reading the forum and not posting, this is your chance to join in and show off.

This month's challenge: "Symmetry"

Only rules:
It has to be taken by you.
It has to be taken in Upstate NY.

A winner will be selected based on the following criteria:
-freshness (have we seen it somewhere before or did you take it just for this challenge? - we prefer the latter!)
-frame
-subject
-creativity
-use of color (or lack thereof)
-uniqueness
Last edited by Kelly on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed an "oops"
Matt
President
President

If you haven't noticed, I love to shoot symmetrical.
I know every photography book, website, and magazine tells you to move things off-center for a better photo. Bullshit.
That's one way to make a photo interesting, but because EVERYONE does it now it is more difficult to keep those photos interesting.

What's my biggest tip? Symmetrical does not necessarily mean mirrored. Use different things to "balance" out the sides of your photos.

Want inspiration?
Go see this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Looked through the many photos I took at the Park Avenue Festival this past weekend and found this one which should qualify for the monthly challenge.
Did anyone else go to the festival? Should we have a post of pictures?

Mikell
Matt
President
President

Great photo!
I went briefly (on Saturday when it was scorching hot), brought my camera, but only shot one non-symmetrical photo.
I remember walking by this shop... there was a band set up... and they were just standing there waiting patiently for the official venue 3 shops down to finish there song, so they can squeeze in theirs, and then the official venue band was getting upset because they couldn't start while this band was mid-song.

I did see several great photograph vendors (and a few "interesting" ones), but was impressed most with the food. Quite a bit of variety!
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

We might have been there at the same time as you, Matt. We were there all morning on Saturday...left around noon to head to the lake to cool off! It was getting way too hot.

I cropped the stage set up in front of this house out of the photo...no band there yet...but they were setting up.
I also kind of "supersaturated" the photo in the edit... although the colour was certainly eye catching on it's own.

I too stopped at some of the photographers' booths and chatted to a couple. One guy who had fabulous travel photos on canvas...mostly UK and some other European countries. They were stunning. He said he still uses film and develops/prints his own work. I was impressed...especially envious of the places he's been. He said he quit work as an accountant 30 years ago to take up his "hobby". Nice guy.

Lots of other great work...and some "interesting" as you say. ;)

Will you post some of your photos of the festival? I would add a few of mine if you start a thread...or I can start one later. I tend to shoot people mostly...I'm a people watcher!

:)
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Now I'm looking for symmetry everywhere...
this from my backyard today...

Mikell
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

:up: Is that a ditch of sorts? Looks so interesting and multi dimensional.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook