Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Your 10 best photos of 2011

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Re: Your 10 best photos of 2011

Postby Mikell » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Such awesome shots from everyone...this is a great post.
And a challenging one...at least for me. I took way too many photos last year...I was learning to use my new camera and never stopped clicking for months!

How do you choose your BEST photos?
From the ones that have the most sentimental value to you...that capture memories with people and places you never want to forget?
From the ones that others have complimented you on?
From the ones that reflect some degree of mastery over a technique you've been practicing?

I had a really hard time choosing only 10. I love at least 10 photos I've taken just of food ...or...of my kids...of other people's kids....of birds...of sunsets/sunrises....of friends....of flowers...of xmas decorations...of my cat...of other people's cats...of dogs...of places I've vacationed...of our boat...of fish/fishing....of my backyard.......and on and on...

Did anyone else have this much trouble?

So...I finally just decided to pick these 10...I don't know if they are my best (as others have said) but I have an emotional connection with each of them...they make me happy to look at them...and I guess that's what photography is for me...pleasing myself. :)

Goslings on Sodus Bay

Carriage Ride at Sunset in New Orleans

Algiers Ferry Terminal in New Orleans

Self Portrait in Mirror Ball

Leah

Hulahoop Girl at Lilac Festival

Kitty in Autumn Woods

Anna by Beach Bonfire

December Sunset on Wind Turbine

Egret at Sunset - Beso del Sol
Last edited by Mikell on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Challenge wins: :star5: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Postby Kelly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm

You chose wisely....and that is one of the marks of a great photographer.....IMHO - the ability to self edit. These photos are not only outstanding, but they also represent you as the versatile artist that you are, Mikell. I've always been a fan.....but I have so thoroughly enjoyed watching you blossom over this past year or so. The excitement you exude is infectious! Kudos! Self Portrait in Mirror Ball is insanely fascinating!

Everyone has done such a great job of choosing their own personal best......I am loving this topic!

(Yes, it is VERY hard to pick your "best" ten! I'm not even close to choosing yet......)
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Challenge wins: :medal: :star1:

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Mikell, wonderful selection. I'm a sucker for silhouettes in sunset and that last photo is a gem. I also find myself studying that wind turbine one for its interesting-ness. :up:
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby Mikell » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks Kelly and Matt...being part of this group and getting feedback and inspiration (especially from both of you whose talents I really admire).... and being challenged to try new things...has been a big part of my "excitement" about photography. While I take pictures to make myself happy, it's just more fun sharing the growing passion with others who understand it.

Every time I visit the board and check out some of the latest uploads, I just get another "fix" for my addiction... so many great "highs" here! ;)
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby hobkyl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 am

Awesome photos Mikell! I love that NO one :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Mikell » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks Kyle...
I think I like your owl and emu photos the best in your post....birds are so fascinating and those two shots are neat!
I don't where Bastion Falls is...but I have a friend who wrote a book with that title...so that's kinda cool too.
:)
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby americanhero » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 pm

what a wonderful collection of shot, Mikell. I cannot say, which one I like the best. They are all great and show unique and excellent moments.
Great work of you. :up:
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
americanhero
Guide
Guide

Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

Postby Mikell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks Yvonne....
Your photos are wonderful too...I like the first two especially ... Goat Island and the bike path...very cool shots. I agree with others...you should definitely post more pics for us to enjoy. :)
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby ApproachingLight » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

Nice pics Mikell. It IS hard to pick 10 pics. And of course just becuase one means alot to you (or me) doesn't mean others will value them. So for this venue do you put up 10 that will appeal most, that appeal most to you, or a combination.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby Mikell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 am

It's really the most subjective thing...I'd be willing to bet that if I showed all my pictures to every one of you...you'd all pick 10 different "best" photo collections from my albums.
I finally had to just get a short list from the ones that really made me immediately smile when I looked at them...and then narrowed it to the ones I thought also were good technically too. (Which eliminates all those slightly out of focus adorable pictures of my kids...which, of course make me smile the most!)

And...if I went through my pictures again today...I might pick 10 different ones... I think it depends on my mood too.

I just feel happy that I have so many pictures...a pain in the ass sometimes to organize...but wonderful memories and a great place to go when I really need to smile!

:)
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

PreviousNext