Assignment: Hoodoo? You do.

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I'm there
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Remember how hot it was at the hoodoo outing? I'm in too. :cold:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

So, I guess this is actually supposed to be a place where I post what I built. But....alas, I'm not exactly doing that. I saw some remnants of this in Vancouver. I could have sworn they were glued. But they were not. It's neat. And they don't last long because of the tides. I'll have my own pics at some point. But in the meantime. . .
When strolling around the Seawall in downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park or along False Creek, you are bound to see seagulls or herons, perhaps a harbour seal, and most likely a fantastic west coast sunset. Another staple sight on the waterfront is balanced rocks. Stacked high, sometimes with sticks incorporated between layers of stones, these sculptures stay tall until knocked down by incoming waves.

As for who is responsible for these man-made features, I have seen a few names pass by since I started reading about these balanced rocks in 2006. These include Ziggy (who started in False Creek in 2010), Terry Robinson (known as Rock Stacker on Flickr), Jozsef Roth (who balances rocks for charity at Granville Island or English Bay) and Kent Avery. Every now and then passersby will also join in to see how they can contribute.

Some are inspired by Inukshuk and others are just for fun — to see what’s possible and to entertain. In a video feature Kent Avery says: “It’s very soothing because you’re in a slowed down state of mind. You’re concentrating on that, you’re slow, there’s chatter going on in the background sometimes, there’s people yelling ‘Hey what kind of glue do you use’ but you just kind of have to focus that out.” To be clear no glue is used, just gravity.........
Entire article here: Vancouver Rock Balancing

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Wow
The only way to tell for sure that they aren't glued is to kick them over.
anyone up for a trip down to letchworth next weekend?