Concerts

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent, Kyle... not just technically, but your ability to actually stand a Yelawolf performance.
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Cool shots, Kyle. Looks like you had a good vantage point....tattoo details! Yes! :)
Mikell
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Thanks guys. Yelawolf wasn't that bad.

Here's what I came away with from Mumford & Sons (best show I've ever seen :up: :up:)

Marcus Mumford by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

"Country" Winston Marshall by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Marcus Mumford by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Marcus Mumford & "Country" Winston Marshall by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Ted Dwane by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Ben Lovett by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Ted Dwane by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Ben Lovett by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

All excellent shots. Really good colors going on in the background too. What lens did you use?
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Love Mumford & Sons...and your photos are wonderful....especially love the ones of Ben Lovett. Nice job. :)
Mikell
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I've been slacking...

All done with Sigma 70-200.

This summer, the first approval went to Kings of the Mic Tour. De La Soul, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, and LL Cool J...

I came away with nothing from De La Soul :( and limited pics from Public Enemy.

Ice Cube by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Flava Flav by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

LL Cool J by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Bad Seed Rising, Halestorm, 3 Doors Down, and Daughtry...

Nothing from Bad Seed Rising. Still going through the 700 pics from the night though.

Lzzy Hale by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Brian Craddock by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Brad Arnold by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Josh Paul by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Chris Daughtry by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

I went to One Republic w/ Mayer Hawthorne. Images to follow when I get around to processing. The singer from One Republic could not perform and thus the show was stopped after Mayer.

I'm not sure that this is something I will continue to do with as much as enthusiasm. I can't afford a fast tele plus a spare body and fast medium tele at the moment. Changing lenses on one body in the pit, drunken fans, and 3 songs to capture all your images is not ideal.

Secondly, while I haven't shared this years batch here till now...the images have received very few comments/favs/likes etc from other websites. This includes my friends and family. So maybe I'm just not good enough or my equipment is hindering me.

It just seems silly to invest time and money into something that I am not getting anything back out of it-recognition, monetary, affiliation, admiration...etc.

I guess with nature/landscape, I solely do it for myself-it's my true passion in photography.

Concert photography was fun at first, but renting lenses or investing in a lens for that specific purpose and then getting denied access show after show after show...kinda makes you rethink things. And judging from the remaining line up...I don't foresee any of those bands accepting my "credentials"-except one, but I intend to be basking in mother nature's glory that weekend in the Daks. I could have had half to 3/4 of a Tammy 17-50 or DA 15 (serving much more purpose-and year round) if I hadn't chose to rent a lens for 2 concerts in July plus one in June totaling nearly $300. :angry:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Kyle...
That last photo of Daughtry is sweet! I'm not a fan of most of those musicians or their music...but your photos are very good....and I'm a fan of that! :)

If you are putting a lot of effort, time and money into something that you had hoped would "pay off", either monetarily or in recognition and it's not, that must be discouraging. And if it's not even enjoyable for you anymore, that's when I'd dial it back too. I think concert photography must be a very hard genre to break into and get noticed.

Taking pictures for our own enjoyment is easy - if landscape photography is your passion, I'd say follow your bliss. Unless you are really passionate about concert photography, sounds like it's become just too frustrating.

I like the idea of making some money from taking pictures but I know I wouldn't attempt it with any kind of photography except something I really loved doing. (Even though wedding photographers make good money, I'd never, ever go there!) There's also the expense associated with some kinds of shooting to consider...and we all have our limits on how far we can go with that too.

On the other hand, if you are really passionate about something that you still haven't found a way to get paid for, I'd say don't give up! Passion can only lead to getting better and better at what you do...great writers often face years of rejection but they couldn't NOT write and eventually get recognized.

Good luck with whatever you decide...and whatever you point your lens at. :)
Mikell
shutbug
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon Mark II, Canon 10D

Here are a few of my first attempts at concert photography. First one is at Kingdom Bound at Darien Lake, a great event that is held over several days with lots of Christian concerts and speakers. Second one was at Rock the Lakes, which are free concerts that are a part of Billy Graham ministries.

Kingdombound by shutbug1981, on Flickr

Michael W. Smith by shutbug1981, on Flickr