Split Rock Falls at Sunset

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Split Rock Falls at Sunset

Postby Crazyzouave » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Split Rock Falls at sunset.

The light shining through the leaves lasted all of 60 seconds. One of those lucky shots.

Crazyzouave
Junior
Junior

Camera Model: Kodak 812Z

Advertisement

Re: Split Rock Falls at Sunset

Postby Bill_K » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Very nice captures.
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
Bill_K
VIP
VIP

Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 pm

great color
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby HaloGirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 am

More great shots!
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Winnie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 am

What a beautiful place ... Great Shots
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby L_G_D » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Thought I'd post a funny pic as my first for this falls, just because I have it on hand.

I was busy taking pics of the upper falls and not really paying attention to what was going on, until I looked at my LCD and noticed something and glanced up to see a bunch of guys had walked in while I was busy and were getting ready to jump in. I had been cycling through various camera settings and taken several shots while they were milling around.
Attachments
pict42244234.gif
pict42244234.gif (1.17 MiB) Viewed 7406 times
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Postby Brenda » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Cool!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:59 am

ah.. that's great!
Matt
President
President

Postby L_G_D » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Ah, Split Rock, what can I say about this place? Memories first, I guess. I first saw it as a young teen back in the early 80's, I was with relatives heading to Elizabethtown (E-town to the locals) to visit another relative there. As we passed by the turnout, my cousin asks if we can visit Split Rock on the way back. The standard adult stock answer came back: "If we have time". My cousin went on to explain how cool the place was, so of course, the visit with the relative went pretty slow for us. After we were done, luckily, we had time, and stopped to take a look. I fell in love with it as soon as we looked over the edge of the cliff at the first falls. That might have been when my love for waterfalls was hardened to stone in my psyche to be with me the rest of my life. I've been back numerous times, usually to take pictures of some type, starting with the 126 film instamatic I used back then, graduating through various 35mm cameras up to the modern digitals. Split Rock is pretty much an anchor of my photographic journey, I may take side roads and detours to other types of photography, but it always comes full circle back to Split Rock. In all seasons, under all weather conditions, it's always a great place to stop, if even for a few minutes to enjoy it, or if time permits take a swim.

On to the pics..... Looking at Crazyzouave's pics, I don't think I have any at sunset, most any other time of day maybe, but not then. Really nice shots, and the fall colors are great too.

First up, the standard shot from the cliff edge, this is essentially the view you get walking in from the parking area:

The first two drops, and I suppose the river splitting around the rock at the top is where the falls gets it's name. If you climb out on the cliffs a little more, you can get a more head-on shot:

Climb down some more, and the river splits again, this time three ways, and flows into the main pool:

This is a great place to go swimming, the bottom is gravel that gently slopes to maybe 10 feet deep at the bottom of the falls. There are a few vanatage pionts where you can see all three sets of falls at once, but I don't have any good shots from those yet.

If you get there early enough in the morning, and there's lots of water throwing lots of spray, you'll get a rainbow:

Walk up the road from the parking area, across the bridge and down the old roadway, you'll find a couple nice camping spots, and a tricky climb down to the rocks above the first pool:

Climb down even further, and you can stop on the ledge over the main pool and look at the upper falls and first pool:

Climb down even further, you'll find a tiny little ledge that is just big enough to stand on, but only at low water. From there, you can get a different angle on the second falls and middle pool. By the way, the upper pool is maybe ~15 feet deep, I can easily reach the bottom while swimming. The middle pool is about ~40-50 feet deep and is bigger on the bottom than the opening is on top. One of my friends, after looking into the water using my dive mask called it a "giant hole in the earth".To be snorkeling along the river seeing the bottom just a few feet below you, then to see it drop away into a seemingly bottomless pit, is awesome, but dangerous. This is how the three college students drowned a few years ago. During very high water, they got pulled in and stuck under the overhang. I don't think they were trying to swim, I seem to recall one of them slipped and fell in, the other two attempted rescue and all three were lost.

This next shot my friend took while I was swimming around the upper pool. The water was a bit high, about as much water as I've ever had while swimming there. He calls this the "GQ Shot", my response was, maybe 20 years ago and 20 pounds lighter. But it shows the scale & power of the water nicely, I think, even if there is a pasty guy in the way.

But wait! There's more!! There is another set of falls just down stream, that I call Lower Split Rock, because that's about as creative as I can get:

Dang, here we go again, posting pictures of pudgy guys and waterfalls, but this also shows the size of the falls. My cousin took this on a disposable waterproof camera loaded with 800 speed film, and just happened to take a couple shots of me fooling around on the falls. Turns out they line up well enough to stitch together into a mini-panorama with me there twice.

hmmmm.... nice farmer's tan, buddy, get some sun, why dontcha?
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:58 am

wow. fantastic photos!
Matt
President
President

Postby L_G_D » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks. That's just the tip of the iceberg for Split Rock, but probably the best ones, so unless I find something great in the archives, or something new comes along, that should about do it.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby L_G_D » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:16 pm

I spent a week in the 'Dacks at the end of August. On my last day there, I swung past Split Rock, of course, after a full day's worth of rain. It was just sunny enough in the morning and I hit it at just the right time to catch the rainbow.

Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Next