Winter Photo Shoots

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

A nice day in mid-winter, temp is 22-30 deg.F. You go out to shoot pictures but don't want your camera to freeze up! How do you keep your camera warm until you go to use it? I tried putting inside my coat, but it was uncomfortable to me! Any suggestions?
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

pgflyer1 wrote:A nice day in mid-winter, temp is 22-30 deg.F. You go out to shoot pictures but don't want your camera to freeze up! How do you keep your camera warm until you go to use it? Any suggestions?
PG,
I spent a lot of winter days hiking in the dacks, I always kept my camera outside hanging on my side unless it was raining or a wet snow. Only once did I have a problem and that was on one of the fire towers, my camera said I had no lens, I unscrewed my lens and put it back on and the camera worked fine. I’ve been hiking in temperatures down to minus 28 with no problem. I do leave my camera out when arriving back at my car so it can warm up with the car and no moisture gets trapped on the inside of the camera. On occasions I would get a little moisture between my UV or polarizer filter and lens, in that case I remove the filter until it’s dry.

Hope this helps
Jim
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Thanks for the reply!
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Check your manual to see the safe operating temps before you take it out in below freezing weather. Some compact camera LCDs will crack if they freeze up.
I always pack my gear in a bag in cold weather and give it time in the bag entering cold, and then entering back in warm. I throw some silica gel packs in there too to help prevent condensation within the camera.
This article covers photographing in cold
http://www.nyfalls.com/article-photographing-snow.html
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Matt wrote:Check your manual to see the safe operating temps before you take it out in below freezing weather. Some compact camera LCDs will crack if they freeze up.
I always pack my gear in a bag in cold weather and give it time in the bag entering cold, and then entering back in warm. I throw some silica gel packs in there too to help prevent condensation within the camera.
This article covers photographing in cold
http://www.nyfalls.com/article-photographing-snow.html

Matt,
I've heard of people doing this and you might be right on the compact cameras, I have never put my camera in a plastic bag or any other bag, I've used both my D40x and D90 in the winter with no issues call me lucky if you want but I do take great care and clean then regularly, I also have free cleaning from the camera shop I bought them from so once or twice a year they do go in for a cleaning and check up. I'll have to find my manuals and see what they say?

As a mechanic I look at things differently, to me putting anything in a sealed plastic bag and changing its environment drastically is just asking for trouble, the moisture that needs to escape due to the temperature change has no place to go, thus contaminating whatever it came from. If left to the elements the change will take place and the moisture does not collect on or in your object (camera).

Silica or desiccant bags will help if you baked them before you put them in your bag. Once they come into contact with air they start absorbing moisture like they’re suppose to, but they have a limit hence the need to dry them out before use.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Thanks Matt, I'll review your info!
Well I took camera out today and in my camera bag there is a compartment on inside of lid. To hold extra batteries etc. I opened a instant hand warmer and placed it in pocket. Seems to keep camera slightly warmer than just sitting in bag in car. And the camera worked fine, even though temps weren't too low here, but the breeze made feel lower.
Last edited by Kelly on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Cleaned up title