Upgrading Cameras

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That is the red-eye reduction feature of the flash. I can be turned off...Just set the camera on Automatic Flash. The point of the small bursts before the camera shoots is that it's supposed to cause two things... make people look away fromt he flash and make their pupils contract so the retinas don't light up bright red.
Eileen
Rookie
Camera Model: Two Kodak camera's - Z1015 and M893; and my first DSLR - Olympus E520

Thank you for the response Matt! I just tried to take a pic of some flowers in my kitchen, with a regular overhead light on and some sunshine coming through the window; on Auto, with the flash on Automatic Flash, and it did the same thing. I am changing the flash by using the silver button on the top of the camera. Is there possibly a setting somewhere else I am missing? I went through each of the menus and did not see one. Outside in bright light I don't have the problem.
Matt
President
President

i'm not sure..... the manual would be the best place to check.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

After much hemming and hawing, I decided upgrading to a DSLR just isnt in my budget this year. So, can anyone give me an opinion on this lens kit for my Canon PS S5IS? If these are ok lenses, I think this would satisfy my needs till next year. And the only reason why I'm opting to not go with Canon accessories is because then I might as well break down and get a entry level DSLR which I'm trying to avoid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Accessory-Comb ... 286.c0.m14
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

ebay lens add-ons are RARELY worth it.
Look and see if Raynox has anything.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Unfortunately to go the route of Raynox and get what I'm looking for...I'd be investing $200-300 in a point and shoot camera.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Mike_K
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 7D, Canon 20D

I pre-ordered a Canon 7D on September 2nd. The camera is supposed to ship at the end of the month, hopefully it actually does ship on time. I'm totally psyched about this camera - tons of great new features, like advanced 19-point AF, new metering system, 100% viewfinder, 8 FPS, HD video, and a whopping 18MP sensor.

My 20D has served me well, but I'm tired of getting home with my macro shots and finding shots I thought were in focus that aren't. The viewfinder is too small and dark for critical focusing, and the LCD screen is too small to evaluate focus. The AF is also marginal in low light. The 7D should take care of all those problems. (Once I learn how to operate the camera, that is.)
Matt
President
President

congrats.
Looks like a great camera :up: :up: