We found a baby animal.

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Would you take it home?

Yes, I would rescue it and release it!
No votes
No, Leave it alone and let nature be nature!
100%
Yes, I would rescue it and keep it as a pet.
No votes

Total votes: 2
ShanaD

When we were at Stony Brook on the gorge trail, I was climbing out of the creek when I heard a little squeak coming from the ledge. I stopped and listened more. When Matt realized I had stopped he came back to see what I was doing. I told him I heard something squeak or cheep and I was looking for it, because I thought it would be something cute. He noticed some kind of wooly mammoth caterpillar, but I knew there was something else there. We finally found a little baby something; we think it was a squirrel. I wanted to protect it somehow, but I didn’t want to just take it in case it was supposed to be there or if the mother was looking for it. Also, I didn’t really want to touch it because I didn’t know what kind of germs or bugs it may have had.

We covered it up with some more leaves and continued our hike. When we got back to the main are I called the park office and the girl said that they don’t do anything unless the animal is a danger to people. I thought about it for the rest of the day. Before we left the park Matt and I went back to the trail to check on it and if it was still there we had decided to take it home and I would look to take it some where today. But when we got there someone or something had already scooped it up and it was gone. I was relieved that we didn’t have to have the responsibility of interfering with nature. SO the question is, would you have scooped it up to try and save it or would you have left it there?

If you do rescue it, what do you so with it once you get it home? I don’t want it as a pet, but I have difficulty letting it just die. What shelters/animal hospitals take injured wildlife?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Think it was a squirrel? It's a (southern flying) squirrel. I was lucky enough to be researching squirrels for the past 3 weeks to write the squirrel identification page (going up soon).

They nest within the branches of trees. Finding one on the cold shale of a creek below a hickory is a sure sign it fell. Those wind gusts from the day before must have knocked it down.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

It's usually best to leave them alone. Often mothers of different types of animals will leave their young in what they believe to be a protected location while they hunt for food or whatever.

The people from Hawk Creek (in East Aurora) will take in injured animals if you find one. They gave a presentation down at Allegany State Park once. One thing they mentioned that I'll always remember is that they said if you ever come upon an injured heron, leave it be. It will try to spear you with it's beak if you try to get close. And they aim for the eyes!

http://www.hawkcreek.org/
Last edited by cbobcat49 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Here's a fawn we saw curled up along side a creek we were walking along 2 summers ago. It was so small it may have fit on a dinner plate.

ShanaD

What you say about the injured Heron...That is why I am not very comfortable around birds. As for the fawn; it didn't fit on your dinner plate did it?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

It certainly tugs at your heartstrings when you find a baby animal, but you really shouldn't interfere. In the case of the baby squirrel, I'm sure that it did fall from the nest. Now, whether its mother would retrieve it--it's tough to say. The only times that you should rescue a baby animal are when it is either injured or you know for a fact that the mother is dead (i.e. road kill). In those cases, every regional DEC office keeps a list of licensed wildlife rehabilitators in their area. Not all rehabers are licensed to take birds, so if it's a bird be sure to clarify that when you call. Do not attempt to feed the animal. Just keep it warm and get it to a rehaber immediately (rehabers are used to being awakened at all hours)! By the way, the best way to rescue an injured bird is to throw a large towel or blanket over it. As soon as its head is covered it will be much calmer and easier to handle without inflicting further injury to the bird or yourself.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Leave those critters alone
It's that time of year again when people will start to find new born critters laying in the grass, on their lawn or similar outdoor situations. The Department of Environmental Conservation advises, "Leave them alone!" Most times their mothers are nearby. If the animals/birds etc., are handled, you usually cause more harm than good. The DEC motto is "If You Care, Leave it there." Also wild animals do not make good pets and it is illegal.
more....

http://www.observertoday.com/page/conte ... l?nav=5010