Black Bears

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Meetings planned to talk about growing black bear incursion

By CRAIG FOX
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:26 AM CDT

HOPEWELL - Wildlife experts say local residents will have to learn how to live with a growing black bear population that has spread from the Southern Tier into many areas of the Finger Lakes over the past decade or so.

That's why the state Department of Environmental Conservation has scheduled a series of informational meetings in the area, including one for 7 p.m. Thursday at the Ontario County Safety Training Facility at 2914 County Road 48 in Hopewell.

Since the mid-1990s, bears have established resident populations in much of Ontario, Steuben, Chemung and Livingston counties, and they are routinely seen in Yates and Schuyler counties. More pioneering or transient bears have been on the rise in Seneca, Wayne, Monroe, Orleans and Genesee counties.

In the past year or so, black bears - the only kind in the state - have been spotted in Geneva, Newark, Phelps, Waterloo and Canandaigua, and in several suburbs of Rochester.

“They're hear to stay, and they're growing in population,” said DEC spokeswoman Linda Vera from the Region 8 office in Avon.

While the animals typically pose a low risk to people, interactions will only increase as the bear population grows and continues to move north from the Allegany region and Pennsylvania, said Mike Wasilco, a DEC regional wildlife manager.

It's happening because mother bears are kicking young males out of the den, and they move to places where they can start their own territories, Wasilco said. More farm land being turned into forested land is also a major reason, he said.

It's estimated that about 300 black bears live in parts of Chemung and Steuben counties and 100 to 200 in the other nine counties served by DEC Region 8.

During Thursday's meeting, wildlife experts will provide an overview of the natural history of black bears, their current status and how the DEC plans to manage their populations, especially in populated areas. Meetings were recently held in Dansville and Churchville.

They'll also talk about how to deal with the increasing populations.

Wasilco warns that people should:

Make sure to get rid of food sources from garbage, pet food and greasy barbecue grills and remove bird seed from feeders. Bears quickly learn that they are easy meals and develop bolder behavior in search of food.

Take garbage cans out on the morning they are picked up, not the night before.

For the most part, bears can become a chronic nuisance but rarely pose a risk to humans or pets, Wasilco said.

During this time of year, bears are still looking for food to gain weight for the winter, but as soon as snow is on the ground, they'll go to their dens to sleep for the season, Wasilco said.

Bears are also more visible during the spring, when they come out of hibernation.

From now until Nov. 14, it's bow hunting season for bears; gun season runs from Nov. 22 to Dec. 7.

The population of the black bear decreased during the 1800s, but conservation measures have paved the way for their comeback.

http://www.fltimes.com/articles/2007/10 ... s01-04.txt
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The latest issue of the Conservationist has a neat little map showing the expansion of the black bear range of the last 12 years:
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

poking at the bottom end of letchworth, I see
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I saw that map. I think that it's quite conservative. But speaking of the Conservationist, for the first time in well over ten years I just allowed my subscription to lapse. I always felt strongly about supporting it, but it seems to be targeting a younger and younger audience. Perhaps it's just that I'm getting older and older. :)
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

We're starting to get them around me too. I haven't seen 1 yet but know of people that have.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
proberts
Rookie
Camera Model: Olympus E-520

I saw one while hunting last year in Bristol NY. I have been to northern Maine and seen several, actually one is in my living room 8) . Bears a very smart and extremely elusive creatures. Most people in Northern Maine, where there is a huge population of them, have never seen one. Awesome animals, I have yet to capture one on film though, maybe next year.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I hope they become so abundant I can just ride one back to the car when I get tired of hiking.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

For those who wish to see the 2007 bear report click on the link to my club.

http://cassetyhollow.tripod.com/id1.html
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview