Black Bears

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

My father walked out the front door of his house towards the garage over the weekend when a good sized black bear came around the corner of the house and ambled across the lawn in front of him. It glanced at him, keep on going out the driveway and across the road. Thing is, that's not the only time there have been bears there. A few years ago, they had to move the bird feeders up to 20 feet to keep them out the reach of the bear that found sunflower & thistle seed a good snack in the afternoon. A couple times they broke into the shed where the seed was kept and helped themselves to the whole bag. After they did that a few times (breaking the door in the process) I caught one of them at it and shooed him away. Another time I was leaning out the back window watching a mother and an older cub raid the feeder when the cub took an interest in me. The window was about 7 feet off the ground and the cub stood up on his hind legs and practically came nose to nose with me. I could literally have bumped noses with him. I didn't of course, and gave a loud yell in his face and he scampered off after his momma who had already lost interest and was walking back into the woods.

So, seeing a bear around here is nothing special, and if I had called the cops they would probably have laughed and said "So?" but I guess that comes from living in the hills as opposed to the city folk who act like they've never seen anything except humans, dogs or cats in their lives. Maybe they haven't, I don't know. Too bad for them.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Garbage Plate by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Oh crap... it saw you... RUN