Ducks!

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Snapped these shots at Canandaigua Lake

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

It looks like the first mama had a little hanky panky going on with a farm duck!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

I went to check out the falls on Oak Oarchard River in Waterport. The falls was dry and our hike to the top was cut short by some kid stalking a family of black ducks in Mill Pond with his bow and arrow. No way I was going to let my wife see that and have her freak out on me.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I would have freaked out on him! Nothing makes me go postal faster than seeing someone harrassing or harming an animal. When I worked in Ithaca years ago, I used to go to Stewart Park for lunch almost daily. I arrived one day just in time to see a couple of kids throwing stones at the ducks. They were making a hasty retreat as I pulled in and when I went to investigate I discovered a female Mallard floundering with a broken neck. I tracked them down at the playground and made them come back to watch her suffer and die. These days I'd probaby be arrested for traumatizing the kids.
Matt
President
President

He was the one with a weapon, so I didn't bother. I was going to ask if he had a license, but I didn't want to get confrontational. He didn't look all that educated.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

mconheady wrote:He didn't look all that educated.
I think that's a given. :lol: I don't blame you, with violent crimes being committed by younger people all the time these days.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

This is an excerpt from Dave Henderson's column in today's Ithaca Journal:

According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's the preliminary report, duck populations increased 14 percent since last year with an estimated 41.2 million breeding ducks.

Nine of the 10 surveyed species increased this year. Blue-winged teal jumped 14 percent to an estimated 6.7 million birds. This is the third highest estimate for blue-winged teal since 1955 (48 percent above their long-term average). Green-winged teal also increased 13 percent to 2.9 million birds (55 percent above the long-term average).

The mallard number is 10 percent higher than last year. An estimated 8 million mallards are on the prairies this spring, compared to last year's estimate of 7.3 million birds. Mallard numbers are 7 percent above the long-term average.

The most positive news coming out of this year's survey is that redheads, canvasbacks and northern shovelers are at record highs, and increases were also seen in two of three species of concern.

Throughout May and June, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Canadian Wildlife Service survey the main waterfowl breeding habitats from the mid-continent area to Alaska. Since 1990, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service and the Canadian Wildlife Service have conducted surveys in eastern North America.

Population estimates for all species surveyed were similar to last year and to the 1990-2006 averages. These surveys provide the scientific basis for many management programs across the continent, including the setting of hunting regulations. This is the 52nd consecutive year of the mid-continent survey.
Matt
President
President

we saw some ducks in palmyra the other day... white ones... well, all were white but one, who had an uneven mix of white and ugly black feathers mottled about.
They has interesting fleshy red bumps around the bases of their beaks. I can't find info on that anywhere.