porcupines

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Does anyone know of an effective way to repel porcupines? Specifically preventing them from chewing on wood. I wonder if there's a spray or something that can be used. Every year I backpack up to a lean-to at Allegany State park and spend the night... sometimes with people sometimes solo... I just got back and this is the second year in a row that I was kept up half the night by LOUD non-stop chewing/crunching/gnawing on the wood only a few feet away from me!
Just thinking of next year if there's something I could bring.

Chris
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

yes, porcupine repellant. or fox urine (found at some hunting supply stores). You could also try peeing on the wood yourself.
cbobcat49

You could also try peeing on the wood yourself.
Tried that. Apparently it didn't work. :)

I heard lots of other wildlife that night though. At about 8:45 a pack of coyotes started yelping. It almost sounded like little kids laughing... which is what I thought it was at first until I realized. Later on I heard 2 owls calling to each other for about 5 minutes. That was really fun to listen to. I heard a "peep peep peep" for awhile which I thought may have been a bat.
cbobcat49

oh and thanks for the link... I may get some of that stuff.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

As we hiked to the fire tower we saw a lot of trees with the bark chewed off. These trees were skinny and the height was 7 feet and up. We wondered who the culprit was, we knew porcupines lived of tree bark but the trees were too small to support their weight. The damage seemed to follow two distinct elevation ranges. As the following pictures revile we were wrong.

This was on the lower elevation and the fattest tree we saw.

It's hard to see the tree he's in but it is small.

Here he is
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Awesome capture Jim! Adorable! We don't see them around here very often.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great shots Jim. That reminds me: I have to write a guide to these weird little rodents.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thanks Brenda and Matt,
I have seen the damage these rodents can do at Lean-to's in the Dacks. Thus I know where Chris is comming from. Peeing on the tree is not good pratice because these rodents will naw at the tree to get the salt that's left behind, along with other rodents and sometimes deer, thus killing the tree.

:idea: Some backwoods info pee on a rock!! :idea:
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview