Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I bought a feeder and set it down on the railing on my deck (so I can see it from my sofa). Within a half hours I had two gray ones. None since, but it's late in the day.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Attracting the ladies, eh? Did you buy nectar? I'm sure that it's a lot easier than cooking it up like I do, and it probably has some additional nutrients. I'm just more comfortable knowing exactly what I'm putting in the feeders, not that I should have any reason to distrust animal food manufacturers. :wink:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

I did buy nectar. It's just sugar, water and food coloring though. You'd have to think that the birds would be getting some nutrition from real nectar... so I'm going to look into which store-bought brands actually have nutrition.

I remember reading an article a year or so back that with all the hummingbird feeders in peoples yards, there will be an influx of non-native species into NY. There are 14 bordering species that could potentially broaden their range with all the food we have out for them
Jennifer
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: 50D with 10D backup

Brenda wrote:not that I should have any reason to distrust animal food manufacturers. :wink:
Heh!
Matt
President
President

Are these generally out in the morning? I check the feeder after work and haven't seen any. I think I saw the females in the morning over the weekend.
Jennifer
Junior
Junior

Matt, we have them throughout the day here.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Same here--dawn to dusk. The numbers/frequency should increase, but I will say that I have many more now that we live in the country, than we did in town.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Jennifer
Junior
Junior

At one point a couple of years ago we had 10 at a time. What a zoo that was! Zoom - Zoom - Zoom! Every which way. Appear to only have two so far this year.