Braddock Bay Bird of Prey Days 2011

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

This coming weekend, April 15 - 17, Braddock Bay Raptor Research is holding Bird of Prey Days 2011

BBRR Events

April 15, 2011 - Bird of Prey Days 2011
April 16, 2011 - Bird of Prey Days 2011
April 17, 2011 - Bird of Prey Days 2011

And more events later in the month

April 23, 2011 - Owl Prowl
April 23, 2011 - Hawk Banding Tour
April 30, 2011 - RAPTORTHON!
May 07, 2011 - Hawk Banding Tour

Celebrate BBRR’s 25th Anniversary!

2011 marks the 25th anniversary of Braddock Bay Raptor Research! Throughout the years, BBRR has carried out its mission of research and education involving raptors in many ways. We have counted over 1.3 million hawks at the hawkwatch and banded thousands of raptors at our banding stations. We have recruited and trained hundreds of volunteers, and educated thousands of visitors about the importance of birds of prey in our environment. To some, these may just be trivial numbers, but to many they are a representation of the commitment BBRR has made to the conservation of raptors over the last 25 years. Rest assured this commitment will not end here…we are still counting!

The milestones BBRR has reached would not have been possible without the support of our members and raptor enthusiasts both far and near. If you are currently a member of BBRR, our research and education teams thank you for showing your commitment to raptor conservation. If you are not a member, we hope you will consider contributing to the efforts of BBRR.

Here are some of the ways your membership helps the overall conservation of raptor species:

Allows the Braddock Bay hawkwatch to continue monitoring the migration of raptors, which contributes to long term population studies and conservation efforts – this will be our 35th consecutive season!

Supports our raptor banding program (of both hawks and owls) by enabling the purchase of needed supplies and equipment

Helps buy materials used to develop and carry out various educational programs and special events conducted at Braddock Bay and in the surrounding community

Consider joining BBRR or renew your membership while you are on line. You can also download a membership form HERE. Your donation will help us to continue with our research and education projects for many years to come!

Come to Bird of Prey Days to help us celebrate at BBRR’s “Birthday” Party! Join us at 6:00 pm on April 16. Click here for details.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I think i may go to this. Depending on the weather. anyone else?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Probably stopping by on Thursday...so not sure if ill make it back out again this week...but maybe Saturday if I do.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Too busy Saturday for me to get there, but I am considering going on Sunday. Lots of activities for the kids, and a nice live bird demonstration.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

mrbirdnerd wrote: and a nice live bird demonstration.
Thank goodness. Those dead bird demonstrations can be rather depressing. :down:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Matt and Kyle,

This might be the prime opportunity for you guys to put on those Owl and Mouse costumes and come on down to Braddock Bay Park.

Of course if you do choose to wear your costumes, you may want to keep looking over your shoulder because some other costumed guests will be in attendance.

Kelly,
You won't see any dead bird demonstrations if you go, but when Liberty the Bald Eagle is there you may see some deceased rabbits.

Kele the Kestrel

The Incredible Hawk
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Those are some sweet costumes.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wait a second! Im going to the only prey..and there's going to be three raptors??? Ill need to rethink this.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook