Bobcat or cougar???

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I had missed that George. Thanks. I guess that I'm just gun shy about reporting anything to them because it doesn't usually turn out well for the critter.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

the ears and spots give it away. Bobcat. I highly doubt any cougar sightings on the east coast US, because cougars have long since been wiped out from here primarily due to habitat loss (and their habitat ain't coming back)
Bobcats don't breed in most regions in NY outside of the Adirondacks, but they certainly traverse there. All of NY, including the Southern Tier is within their roaming range, with most being in counties removed from the Great Lakes.
They will eat mostly rabbits and carrion (often dead deer) in our region.
They have been known to take down domesticated animals, but this is rare considering the abundance of roadkill and rabbits we have here.
alilconcerned
Rookie

We have talked to a DEC officer a couple years back when the "sightings" were first heard, but he seemed less than interested to discuss the thought of them being in our area, so I dont know that it would make much difference. The same for bear. We've had pictures of a black bear about 10 miles from our woods, and they really didnt care about that either. Maybe they are just busy with other things..

I've heard the coyotes and fox but never have I heard a bobcat.. honestly, I hope I dont!

I know it was pure luck that this one was caught on camera, and I havent seen any in person or from a far, and that's how I'd like to keep it. But I will be looking for other signs now..
I have seen dead deer chewed up or knawed on, but I always thought it was from the coyotes. There are alot of hunters in the vicinity, and especially with archery season alot of those shots leave dear wounded and roaming the area before expiring. There are plenty of food sources that's for sure, and we have a creek that runs through the middle of our woods as well.

I am hoping it was just passing through and it hasnt made home in our area. One thing I'm falling back on is knowing that if the wildlife in my area was threatened or felt threatened by the cat, then they would be more cautious, and at this time that's not the case... or atleast that I can tell.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

alilconcerned wrote:We have talked to a DEC officer a couple years back when the "sightings" were first heard, but he seemed less than interested to discuss the thought of them being in our area, so I dont know that it would make much difference. The same for bear. We've had pictures of a black bear about 10 miles from our woods, and they really didnt care about that either. Maybe they are just busy with other things...
No, I think that your feelings were spot on. A DEC officer doesn't necessarily have as much of a background or interest in wildlife as they do in law enforcement. That's certainly not always the case. You may have found more interest from a regional wildlife office, but then again maybe not. They get SO many calls every day from people claiming to have seen this or that, wanting to rescue the baby bird that just fell from its nest or the squirrel that just got hit in front of their house...

My personal feeling (and certainly not the opinion of NYFalls) is that as soon as they think that there are enough of any given species to open an area for hunting or trapping they will do so if they can, because it all comes down to revenue. It's all about selling licenses.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

alilconcerned wrote:I am hoping it was just passing through and it hasnt made home in our area. One thing I'm falling back on is knowing that if the wildlife in my area was threatened or felt threatened by the cat, then they would be more cautious, and at this time that's not the case... or atleast that I can tell.
Right now, I don't think that the bucks are being cautious about much of anything anyway (judging from the rubs and scrapes around our property)! ;) :lol:
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Brenda wrote:Most definitely Bobcat.

I agree 100% you can see the spots on the fur, I get one around my house every two to three years.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
alilconcerned
Rookie

Yeah, I really dont want anything to happen to it. But with shotgun season right around the corner hopefully it can keep hidden. I know several people that hunt in that area that would shoot it, just because. I would just like not to see it!!

As for the bucks.. exactly, right now they are totally NOT cautious!! :)

So does anyone really know how long they stay in one area? Maybe a walk through the woods is in order to see signs that maybe it has taken up a home there, or if it's just passing through? Wont be me though!! lol
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I don't know how long one might stay in a given area. I'm sure that it depends upon the big three: food, water & cover.

I saw this on another website this morning and I thought of you. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcT4paZfflg&feature=related