St Lawrence County wildlife help please

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cmp301
Rookie
Camera Model: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3

Regarding my photo showing scat with berries in it, here's an even better closeup

Here's a scat identification tree I found and here's another one, racoon seems the best bet so far to me.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

cmp301 wrote:Regarding my photo showing scat with berries in it, here's an even better closeup

Here's a scat identification tree I found and here's another one, racoon seems the best bet so far to me.
Good job! See, you're well on your way to being able to identify your own photos! I have referred to the terrierman site a number of times in the past myself. You'll find that there are virtual field guides out there for just about anything that you could possibly need help identifying. Please don't hesitate to ask if we can be of any assistance in the future.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Something that should be added here for general information is that when you're taking a photo for assistance in identification and it is something that is a part of a whole (like a flower, berry, leaf, etc.), you should add a photo that includes the entire flower or shrub. A photo of the leaves and stems is particularly helpful. You should also include something as a known measure for reference in the photo of the flower, berry, etc., like a coin.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

The bird looked like a Blue Heron to me. Seemed to big for a Green Heron.
The first Butterfly is a Monarch and the second one is a moth but its name escapes me.
The large rectangular holes were made by a Pileated Woodpecker. They are known for their impressive, large, rectangular drill holes.