Bluebird Photos

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I have pictures of many different kinds of birds found throughout our area but I have had no luck photographing a Bluebird. Getting that perfect Bluebird shot is becoming an obsession.
My question, and it is a strange one, is does anybody here have Bluebirds nest in your yard and would you be willing to have a nutjob in a bird blind hang out on your property and take pictures. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
There is a home not too far from mine and I have observed Bluebirds on their property but I have not figured out how to approach a complete stranger and make such a request. :oops:
Last edited by Matt on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a splash of color
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

Joel, there is an area in Mendon Ponds park near the nature center (wild wings)on the bird song trail that have bluebird boxes. I have seen a ton of bluebirds there year round, and have been able to get pretty close. Download the park map from here and the location I am talking about is where the red leaf is or sharons sensory garden. Hope that helps...
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I understand your frustration Joel! They don't stay in one place for very long. They are absolutely one of my favorite species. I'd love to buy one of those nestbox cameras to monitor their nesting progress this spring. I haven't seen many around this winter, but then I haven't been out much beyond my trek from the house to the office.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

I have a few boxes in my back field if you're ever in the Albany area. March, April and May seem to be the best time to see them perched on the boxes or fence posts. I think they're establishing and defending territory, then guarding their eggs and feeding their young. By June I don't see them as much. I've often had success getting permission by showing an example of my work and offering a copy of the best print from the day. If you put the print in a simple mat, you're golden.
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Thanks Chris! I don't have a powerful lens ( 300mm IS ) so to get the closeup shots I get I like to be no more than 12 feet away from the subject. I took pictures of a Pileated last year from about 5 feet away and her head was about all I could get in the frame :lol:
Anyway to accomplish that I use a blind and I'd probably freak people out in a public park sitting there in a blind. :woof:
I will check it out though and see if I get lucky but I'd still rather set up in someone's yard with active bluebird boxes.
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Thanks for the tips George and I may take you up on that though Albany is quite a drive! :)
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Went to Mendon Ponds Park on Saturday, it was a beautiful day. The kids each had Chickadees eat from their hand!
My main mission was to check for Bluebirds near WIld Wings. I found the many Bluebird boxes in the fields near the birdsong trail and sure enough there were many Bluebirds flying around.
They'd land on a branch or a box 50 feet away and I'd quietly move toward them for a close shot and they'd fly away. It must have been quite comical to watch. I need to figure out how to get closer without scaring them. I have a blind but don't know how that would go over in a public park.
Here is a shot I got.....it's a start I suppose.

Oh yeah...thanks for the tip Chris!!
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Congrats Joel! Nice capture! I used to band the little buggers so I know how tough it is to sneak up on them.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com