Need help (cat identification)

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

NYYankees

Hello, pretty neat forum here

I was wondering if anyone could identify a cat that I saw in my backyard this evening just before dusk? I live in a somewhat rural area just east of Oneida lake (oneida county). While peering out my back window I noticed what looked to be a cat slowly and cautiosly wandering across my lawn at the edge of the woods. I ran to get my binoculars and took a closer look but only had about 20 sec. of viewing before it disapered back into the wilderness. It was clearly some type of wild cat and about 2 times the size of a houscat (maybe a tad smaller). Its fur appered very dark between black and dark brown but was unlike the bobcat or any other cat descriptions on the home page. It's tail was dark and appeared to be longer than the 6in bobcat's tail. I was unable to confirm its identrification on NYfalls home and was wondering if anyone had some ideas for me?
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

If it didn't have a short tail like a bobcat or lynx then it probably isn't in the cat family because there is nothing else around here besides the domestic. My guess since it was dusk and only a quick look and your size comparison would be a fox, skunk or raccoon.
NYYankees

Hi, thanks for the reply

I'm 100% that it was a cat, I got a good look at it with the binoculars as the sun was just starting to go down and my eyesight is perfect. It must have been a bobcat then ( Too big to be a housecat). I've seen hundreds of foxes skunks and racoons around here and it resembled not a one of them. I know that there are bobcats around my area but have never seen one before.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

You'd be surprised how many times dogs, foxes and coyotes get mistaken for big cats... especially at the distance you would need binoculars from. Most wild cat sightings in our state turn out to be canines or other animals. This is thought to be because solitary wild canine behavior (or at least what is seen in a glimpse) is very similar to what we would expect from house cats- and most people are unfamiliar with the looks and motions of wild cats to begin with.

The ears of the Bobcats, the"sideburns," as well as the dark-tipped tail are sure signs of a bobcat. Do you recall how the tail was held when the animal moved? Did the animal bounce or hold it's back steady when it moved? The tails of bobcats can be larger than the average. The Lynx and Cougar's home range do not extend to the Oneida region, so Bobcat it may be. You could always bait it another night and camp out for a better look.
NYYankees

Hi Matt

No, it was surely some type of cat species. I had a clear look at it for nearly 20 sec. with the binoculars and it moved very slow and cautiosly and even look up directly toward my way so I am sure that it was a cat. I'm thinking that it was a bob cat since when it looked up at me I recall what looked like the "side burns" you described and a wider face than a normal housecat. The tail was very dark and fuzzy and did seem to be pointed in an upward position, however in memory it seemed the tail was too long but did not pay too much attention to its tail at time. After doing a search on wikipedia I found that some bobcats can be redish-brown in color and figured that is what I saw.