Mystery Tracks

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I noticed these tracks when I went out to get the receipt from our propane delivery earlier. I can't say for sure how long they've been there, but I would imagine that they were made last night. The snow isn't very deep, so the low body or dragging tail has me a bit puzzled, as does the pattern itself. There was only one animal and these shots were taken at different spots along its course. The last shot includes my size 8 Croc print for comparison. I'm going to consult with a couple of local "experts" (a.k.a. trappers), but any thoughts?

Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I'm definitely not an expert but my guess would be a red fox. The print looks canine and its long bushy tail could cause that depression in the snow. As for that pattern on the right side, maybe it was limping and dragging it's foot a bit?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

I would guess a skunk or beaver without knowing what this is near. Maybe a wounded animal...very cool though.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

This is too cool! Little did I know, but what I was actually photographing was a critter crime scene! Anyone care to take a guess?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

foxes don't usually drag their tails, but that mark may not be a tail, but something in the animal was carrying.
They look a little round for fox tracks but, it may have winter fur on its feet, or it may because of snow melt.
The pads looks A-shaped, but I can't tell from those shots. They are also doubled up.
I can't tell much of the scale. What would you say the stride would be? Print size?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

You're correct Matt. The animal was carrying something. It hadn't occurred to me initially that more than one animal might be involved. I had a hard time determining the exact print size because of the overlapping pattern. I consulted with a friend who almost immediately noted that the animal was carrying/dragging something that was quite large for it to handle, thus the marks in the snow where the prey was dropped at one point and the "scuff" marks in the snow as it struggled to walk while carrying its prize. I suspected that it was a large feral cat, and upon closer examination I was able to isolate a single print to measure to rule out a bobcat. Sure enough! We figure that it was a feral cat who managed to capture one of the many cottontails that live here.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

yeah, a dragging tail will be in a more smooth line and wouldn't swing back and forth like that- or be that wide.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

As much as I hate to see any of my bunnies killed, it would have been interesting to see how that cat pulled off both the attack and carrying away the prey. It would have been pretty comical to see it trying to walk and carry the rabbit at the same time without tripping over it.