Salmon run

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

OK, I wasn't sure where to put this, so this seemed like the good forum.

Isn't it sometime soon that the Salmon go swimming up stream? I always thought it would be fun to head to like Pulaski to get photos of this happening. But, being I have no clue when they do it or if there are any good spots near Pulaski, I figured this would be a good spot to ask.

Anyone know?
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

According to the NYSDEC website, this occurs from mid-October to mid-November.

Here is a link to the page about Salmon

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7028.html

and a quote from the page
Spawning Habits

Salmon spawn (or reproduce) in the fall, with peak activity occurring from mid-October to mid-November. Although some spawning does occur near river mouths, most spawning takes place in upstream portions of rivers or streams. Adult salmon build nests called "redds" in the stream bottom. The redds are dug by the female in areas of moving water, such as near riffles or the tail end of pools. The female moves gravel and small rocks with vigorous sweeps of her tail until a depression has been created. The eggs are then deposited and quickly fertilized.

Salmon protect their eggs by burying them in gravel. After spawning, the female moves upstream a short distance and digs into the gravel, freeing it so it will drift downstream and cover the eggs. Buried under layers of gravel, the salmon embryos develop slowly and hatch in late winter or early spring. After hatching, young salmon move downstream into lakes or oceans either immediately (in the case of pink salmon), or after one or more years of growth in the stream (as with Atlantic salmon).

An interesting difference between Atlantic and Pacific salmon is their fate after spawning. All Pacific salmon die after spawning, while Atlantic salmon may survive and even spawn two or more times. Salmon are generally medium-lived fish, with Pacifics living up to five years old and Atlantics sometimes reaching six to seven years old.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

and don't forget our page on salmon...
http://www.nyfalls.com/wildlife/Wildlif ... almon.html
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

hoohaa wrote:OK, I wasn't sure where to put this, so this seemed like the good forum.

Isn't it sometime soon that the Salmon go swimming up stream? I always thought it would be fun to head to like Pulaski to get photos of this happening. But, being I have no clue when they do it or if there are any good spots near Pulaski, I figured this would be a good spot to ask.

Anyone know?
(sorry so late on this) One thing is that the Salmon River is a larger river, and the entire run itself is introduced Pacific Salmon that require stocking each year. Your liable to get more pictures of people than fish if you go up there. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of fish, but most of the time they're spread out and the only time you really see them is if your standing out in the rapids fishing for them, or when they jump like crazy (which you can try to get, they do it often)...

I haven't had much luck fishing for salmon. They don't eat once they enter the river, so to get them, you have to trigger a strike by annoying them somehow.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

early stage run happened last weekend....look for it to start filling up in the next few weeks