Lost fawn

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

Saw this fawn on a trail at Iroquois Refuge last weekend. It was playing like a dog.....it kept running straight at me, would get 5 feet away turnaround and runaway...and repeat. Never heard or saw its mother.

Also watched some swallows feeding their babies...

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Chris!

I must admit I don't know where Iroquois Refuge is....but if it's around Rochester.......RUN, don't walk and get these on Capture Rochester right now!

The bird shot is.......well, I'm speechless! :warship:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That first shot is an instant classic!
:up:

I'm sure the mother was behind you... stealing your wallet ;)
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Great shots, as always Chris! How big was the fawn? They are extremely playful, and perhaps it had enough exposure to people to have lost its natural fear. It's unlikely that you would have seen Mom anyway, if she is alive.

That reminds me, I wonder how many of the people on Capture Rochester have decent telephoto lenses when they take those fawn photos vs. those who walk right up to a fawn that is bedded down? I suspect that people are more interested in getting that shot than they are concerned about posing a danger to the fawn. Mom cleans the fawn up and leaves it for a reason. She doesn't want potential predators following her scent. People not only risk leaving a scent trail, but they also risk spooking a fawn and exposing its whereabouts.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

It was the size of a fox...actually thats what i thought it was at first...then i saw the spots. I used a 300mm lens so I never moved in too close but the fawn did run up to me. Hopefully my scent didn't mislead the mother...the fawn did eventually run into the brush and as I continued on the path I did hear some bleating.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Oh no, Chris, the second part of my post had nothing to do with you. You can't very well control a fawn approaching you. :lol: I think that it would take a lot for a doe to abandon a fawn, but for instance, I know that my dogs would follow my scent trail and I don't know what they'd do to a small fawn. That's why when I spotted a newborn fawn in the tall grass next to our garden a month or so ago I didn't go investigate, as much as I was tempted to try to get a photo. It looks as if "your" fawn already had its "legs" though, even if it didn't have much sense yet. :lol:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

chris270 wrote: Image
Chris,
I'm shocked you haven't gotten this on onto CR. I think it would do very well. I'm sure we can rally a vote to get it as a top photo.
-Matt
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I got really bored of CR about a month ago and haven't voted or placed anymore photos up. I think my voting is below 20% now. The photos going up just got very dry, been wasting time in other places like figuring out sports flash photography and how I can pay for it (not easy to do or buy). :D