Pheasant release program

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Here's the story from another "angle." ;)
New York reverses plan to shut down Reynolds Game Farm
By Krisy Gashler • [email protected] • January 17, 2009

Hunters and sportsmen filed a restraining order Thursday to prevent the DEC from destroying the pheasants at the Game Farm, a judge granted the order Friday and shortly afterward Gov. David Paterson reversed his position and agreed not to close the state's only pheasant game farm, said Tom King, president of the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation oversees the game farm. Calls to the DEC and to the game farm were not returned Friday.

State Sen. George Winner, R-53rd, applauded the decision in a statement released late Friday.

"I appreciate the willingness of the Paterson administration to recognize the value of this program to the Upstate New York culture and economy and to work with us to find an effective and creative way to keep the Reynolds Game Farm operating," Winner said. "I believe we will find an effective solution that will preserve the tradition and the economic benefit of New York's pheasant stocking program."

King said he believes pressure from his organization, as well as the Conservation Alliance of New York, the National Rifle Association of America and the National Shooting Sports Foundation were critical in Paterson's decision.

"The sportsmen in New York state are a pretty potent force," King said. "There's right around a million hunters in New York state and there are approximately 4.5 million gun owners in New York state. Pheasant hunting is near and dear to all of those who are hunters and shooters, and even though New York state does not have the best pheasant hunting in the world, it is near and dear. It's a tradition to many, many hunters."

Not everyone was pleased with the news.

Patrick Kwan, New York state Director of the Humane Society of the United States, said the practice of releasing pen-reared pheasants into the wild for hunting each year is "an abhorrent ritual."

"It's despicable that even with New York state's budget crunch, the sport hunting lobby is still jockeying for tax dollars to restore one of the least deserving and most inhumane programs imaginable," Kwan said by e-mail. "With so many legitimate programs in New York state that are facing cuts, it's absolutely inexcusable for taxpayer money to be going towards what is essentially recreational killing and target practice using live animals."

It costs roughly $750,000 per year to run the game farm, according to the DEC.

In announcing his initial decision to close the game farm in mid-December, Paterson said the $12 billion state budget deficit required "focus(ing) our limited resources in this difficult crisis."

"The closure of the Reynolds Game Farm presents us with one such opportunity," he said.

King said the money paid by hunters for licenses and the federal Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act, argued in favor of keeping the game farm open.

The Pittman-Robertson act allows the state and federal governments to collect a 12 percent excise tax on outdoor goods like rifles, ammunition and outdoor clothing, King said.

The law requires that this money not be diverted to anything other than state fish and game departments, according to a summary of the law on the Michigan State University College of Law Web site.

"We understand hard times, and we are not unreasonable people," King said. "However, we just want to be treated fairly and if we're paying for it, we want to know where the money goes and how much of it is going into the pheasant farm."

If additional money is needed to operate the farm, hunters are willing to help raise funds, for example, through a pheasant stamp, King said.

The game farm is the last of its kind. It has operated on Game Farm Road in the Town of Dryden since 1927.

Yearly, the state disperses 60,000 day-old pheasant chicks, 15,000 7- to 10-week-old pheasants, and 25,000 adult pheasants so they can be raised and/or hunted.
http://www.theithacajournal.com/article ... /901170342
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Patrick Kwan, New York state Director of the Humane Society of the United States, said the practice of releasing pen-reared pheasants into the wild for hunting each year is "an abhorrent ritual."

"It's despicable that even with New York state's budget crunch, the sport hunting lobby is still jockeying for tax dollars to restore one of the least deserving and most inhumane programs imaginable," Kwan said by e-mail. "With so many legitimate programs in New York state that are facing cuts, it's absolutely inexcusable for taxpayer money to be going towards what is essentially recreational killing and target practice using live animals."
While I'm not all about "put and take" either, Mr. Kwan obviously has no real understanding of the farm and the many roles that it plays.

I would happily buy a pheasant stamp each year even though I don't hunt (I purchase a Sportman's license every year), to help support the farm and its programs.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Hunting is a huge "right" for people in this state, and I respect that. Although I don't personally believe hunting is necessary this day and age (for a lot of people), I don't feel we should limit hunting programs at all (except I feel it should be separate from "recreational" parks), because it is very important to the culture and economy of the state.
I normally wouldn't support shutting down a game farm. Or at least until that point about the budget was made. I do feel that in times like this, those fringe conveniences can go by the wayside. Shutting down the farm is a sad thing... but if they are really producing a product that is high in demand game rather than for the sake of hunting pleasure, then couldn't they just send them off to butcher and still remain in business?
If not, aren't they just living on state subsidy? And with the state adding new taxes in order to close a budget gap (taxes that probably will stick long after this gap is closed), shouldn't we look at cutting subsidies for conveniences first?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

While pheasants certainly aren't native birds, for me it's more about helping to sustain a wild population. Growing up, my mom and I would go for drives around the countryside every chance we got and wild pheasants were everywhere. Loss of habitat (and some say a disease) had reduced the numbers of wild birds to the point where they had become a fairly rare sighting. The day old chick program supplies chicks to numerous youth groups and clubs throughout the state to raise and release. If not for the game farm, which is the last in the state, those chicks would have to be purchased from private breeders or from out of state at a much greater cost and risk to the chicks. I don't know how many private pheasant farms there are in NY, but they certainly wouldn't be able to meet the current demand, and again I'm sure that the cost would be significantly higher.

As far as stocking older birds on public lands for hunting, the average hunter can't afford to hunt at a game preserve so hunting on public lands provides the only opportunity for many hunters to hunt pheasants. Are they easier to shoot than wild birds? Some say so. Are they an easy target? Absolutely not! Do they overwinter? A small percentage do in areas with good food and cover. Also, the more people who take up the sport, the more people who will be interested making sure that we have pheasants in the wild in NY for generations to come.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I am more than willing to purchase a pheasant stamp every year to help support the costs of running the farm and for creating/improving habitat.

As far as hunting itself goes, I think that you would be surprised at how many people in rural areas really do still rely on the game that they take throughout the year to help feed their families. While we could certainly survive without wild game, I sure do feel the hit at the grocery store when my freezer is empty, as it is now.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

I agree with Brenda and couldn’t have said it any better.
I would like to add that the funding for wildlife and habitat in this state is mostly if not all done by the “The Pittman Robertson Act” which until the past decade has been mostly paid for by the sportsman. Now that the younger generation is into camo clothing they too are paying for studying, raising, relocating, re-establishing habitat, and many other programs for wildlife. Paterson is not the first governor to try and take money from the Pittman Robertson Act and will not be the last. That money is for wildlife programs only!! I too have no problem buying a pheasant stamp or allowing crossbows for hunting (another subject) only because I know that will add more money to wildlife programs thru the Pittman Robertson Act.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I was counting on you to explain Pittman Robertson. ;) I believe that the consensus is that those breeder birds are already bought and paid for, so the governor had no right to try to give them away.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Brenda wrote:I was counting on you to explain Pittman Robertson. ;)
Your welcome,
When we teach the safety classes we spend a lot of time explaining it so people understand what it's their for and how it works.
You right on giving the birds away too :D
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview