Deckertown Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Work is underway on this page and I have a preliminary rough map up. I don't really recall much about the hike I did, and unfortunately although I tracked the hike on the GPS, I must have deleted the photos I took with so now I can't plot the upper falls correctly on the map. I'm not sure how far my maps extends beyond the last falls. It looks like I went pretty far.
The map is open to edit. Please contribute if you have any relevant info.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=218 ... 3,0.007049
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

:popcorn:

It looks like you went pretty darn far is right. My gps app never did get converted (issues). Best guess? I'd say you covered them all. I look forward to getting there in the spring and will count.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

When I was here last summer the trail along the north-rim was posted not too far above the bridge. Does anyone know how much of the gorge the town owns aside from the lower falls/parking area?
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Matt
President
President

The land to the right of the trail is posted. It always has been, but it seems the trail itself, and that small sliver of land doesn't have signs. Not 100% sure though.
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Ohh ok I've never been up the south rim of the gorge. Not 100% sure if that way is off-limits but all of those posted signs send me across the creek. I checked out the tax maps and it looks like private property right up to the south side of the gorge and the owner lives on the street. My best guess is that the south rim is not ok and all those posted signs are there to say so. On the other hand the North rim appears to be in some sort of land trust that extends roughly up to the bridge. Beyond that is private and the lines seem to coincide with the posted signs I saw above the bridge.

Anyhow, probably best to only "advertise" the lower falls. The tax maps seem to suggest that only the North rim is ok and only up to the bridge. Everything else is private.

http://www.stcgis.org/schuyler/#
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

That's the way I recall it too. Maybe 50-100 ft from the creek edge to the signs.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

i recall seeing signs, maybe 6 of them, but they seemed to line the right of the trail. to keep people from wandering off of it. I'll note that on the page I write. I'll probably cut out that last tail of the trail on the map. I'm sure I climbed town and headed upstream, found nothing then turned around and went back.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

The land to the right of the trail is posted. It always has been, but it seems the trail itself, and that small sliver of land doesn't have signs. Not 100% sure though.
I know you're definitely ok taking the trail all the way up to the bridge. The land immediately to the right of the trail is definitely posted.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau