Great Gully Nature Preserve

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Great Gully

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
40%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
60%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
No votes

Total votes: 5
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Here is a post that I wrote two years ago. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?
Re: Great Gully Nature Preserve
by Mark J » Thu May 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Looking at Great Gully on Google Earth, it does appear that the deepest part of the gully may indeed lie above the falls, as suggested in another message thread. The easiest access from above may be from the point where Dills Rd crosses the stream approx 2.25 miles east of Route 90. There should be a culvert immediately after the road dog-legs slightly to the left as you're traveling east (uphill). Once into the gorge and heading back downhill, it appears to get fairly deep fairly quick. There are other possible access points further uphill on either side of the gully and its feeder streams. According to americanwhitewater.org, Great Gully offers 3 miles of class IV rapids. Obviously, therefore, you want to be attentive to water conditions before entering the gully. Americanwhitewater says the gully is accessible from Great Gully Rd at Wheeler Rd.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Mark J wrote:Here is a post that I wrote two years ago. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?
Re: Great Gully Nature Preserve
by Mark J » Thu May 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Looking at Great Gully on Google Earth, it does appear that the deepest part of the gully may indeed lie above the falls, as suggested in another message thread. The easiest access from above may be from the point where Dills Rd crosses the stream approx 2.25 miles east of Route 90. There should be a culvert immediately after the road dog-legs slightly to the left as you're traveling east (uphill). Once into the gorge and heading back downhill, it appears to get fairly deep fairly quick. There are other possible access points further uphill on either side of the gully and its feeder streams. According to americanwhitewater.org, Great Gully offers 3 miles of class IV rapids. Obviously, therefore, you want to be attentive to water conditions before entering the gully. Americanwhitewater says the gully is accessible from Great Gully Rd at Wheeler Rd.
Not yet, but you may have given me something to do. This place is about 15 minutes from where I work.
Moemoe
Rookie

Taken after 2.58" of rain. Apologies for the cellphone pics-it's all I have. Creekwalking to the upper falls would be impossible.
A friend of mine lives in Union Springs and claims that in the spring there may be a posted sign, but it is usually gone by mid summer. Most of the townfolk go swimming at the bottom of the lower falls, and people who use it pick up a lot of garbage there. There was no posted sign off Rt 90 today. Maybe in a few weeks before it gets cold I can make it up to the upper falls.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

No need to apologize, Moemoe. Fantastic shots, honestly. Thank you for sharing them! :camera:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Anyone hear about this? from Jan 29
http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2013/ ... ccept.html
The Finger Lakes Land Trust today announced that it has accepted the donation of a perpetual conservation easement from landowner Dan McIntosh to ensure the future of his iconic Great Gully Farm..

The farm, which encompasses 650 acres, is a scenic landmark that is known by many for its expansive views of Cayuga Lake and scenic farmland adjoining State Route 90 just north of the Village of Aurora.

The conservation easement limits future development while providing for continued agricultural use and the creation of two additional home sites. It covers the entire farm which spans 650 acres, including more than a half mile of Great Gully – a rugged ravine that features rare flora, towering hardwood forests, and several waterfalls.

The easement agreement includes a special protection zone that encompasses the environmentally sensitive Gully. The land will remain in private ownership and on the tax rolls.
Unfortunately....
The conservation easement does not allow public access
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

Matt wrote:Anyone hear about this? from Jan 29
http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2013/ ... ccept.html
The Finger Lakes Land Trust today announced that it has accepted the donation of a perpetual conservation easement from landowner Dan McIntosh to ensure the future of his iconic Great Gully Farm..

The farm, which encompasses 650 acres, is a scenic landmark that is known by many for its expansive views of Cayuga Lake and scenic farmland adjoining State Route 90 just north of the Village of Aurora.

The conservation easement limits future development while providing for continued agricultural use and the creation of two additional home sites. It covers the entire farm which spans 650 acres, including more than a half mile of Great Gully – a rugged ravine that features rare flora, towering hardwood forests, and several waterfalls.

The easement agreement includes a special protection zone that encompasses the environmentally sensitive Gully. The land will remain in private ownership and on the tax rolls.
Unfortunately....
The conservation easement does not allow public access
Yea, I saw that...its close to where those historical markers are. In fact, there is a really old Indian Mound right next to Great Gully - probably even pre-Iroquoian of age
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

Torrents today!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Fantastic. I love the composition here. Especially the trees on the left and the fallen one on the right that actually ads a good line towards the waterflow... really the best shot I have seen of Great Gully thus far.
This is the falls with the overhang/cave, right?