Great Gully Nature Preserve

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Great Gully

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
40%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
60%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
No votes

Total votes: 5
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Discuss Great Gully Nature Preserve and the surrounding area here.

This property is not a public park. It is privately owned. The Nature Conservancy is a private organization. Be respectful or we may not be able to visit it for long.
Please note that not all of the property surrounding the gully is accessible. It is mostly private property. Be aware of it.
Also there is to be no camping or dumping of trash in the gully. If you come across a posted sign, then you must not pass it.
If you are told you are on private property, then you must leave.
Please be respectful
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Great Gully is a marvelous creek walk and swimming hole. There are two swimming holes. The first one has a small waterfall near the parking area and seems to be favored by smokers, children, infants and beer drinkers. Bypass this one. Even if no one is there, don't even think about going in this pool without appropriate footware as I have seen bathers drinking from glass bottles at this swimming hole. In my book, its smart to wear water shoes in any creek or swimming hole.

Your true destination is a few hundred yards upstream. Here you will find the lovely falls pictured on this site. During my visit in August 2006, there was a moderate water flow, much more than is shown in Matt's pics. It was a perfect volume of water for swimming. It's easy to go behind the falls and leap forward through the curtain of water. There were just a few families swimming here, and no smokers or beer guzzlers. I have numerous pics that I will post shortly.

I would most likely make this a mid-week visit next time, but even on a Sunday afternoon it was not so crowded as to ruin the experience. Please observe the abutter's no trespassing signs and stay on unposted land.

Mark J.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Looking at Great Gully on Google Earth, it does appear that the deepest part of the gully may indeed lie above the falls, as suggested in another message thread. The easiest access from above may be from the point where Dills Rd crosses the stream approx 2.25 miles east of Route 90. There should be a culvert immediately after the road dog-legs slightly to the left as you're traveling east (uphill). Once into the gorge and heading back downhill, it appears to get fairly deep fairly quick. There are other possible access points further uphill on either side of the gully and its feeder streams. According to americanwhitewater.org, Great Gully offers 3 miles of class IV rapids. Obviously, therefore, you want to be attentive to water conditions before entering the gully. Americanwhitewater says the gully is accessible from Great Gully Rd at Wheeler Rd.

Mark J.
DougPhoto
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A530

Leaf-peeping in the area so stopped. Due to soggy conditions only went as far as the lower falls. Upper falls next time.
Attachments
Great Gulley - lower falls
Great Gulley - lower falls
5257A.jpg (160.3 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Quite a change of character after 2" of rain:
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Nice! :up:
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

yeah, quite a difference.
ebedgert
Rookie

Is this land still owned by the Nature Conservancy? I didn't see it listed on their website.

I'm confused about how to visit the lower gorge - I keep seeing that the entrance is on private land, so, do you need permission from someone to park in the grassy area on Route 90 (near the bridge)? Or does this mean that the parking area is owned by the Nature Conservancy and it's OK to park there, if you obey any posted or no trespassing signs?