Search resumes for teen who fell into river at Letchworth

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Welcome to the forums! Yes, anytime something like this happens, it is a tragedy and I don't think anyone here would want to disrespect and victims or their families. I think Mark's comment and probably the defensive attitude a lot of us take around here is that when people cross barriers, go off the trails, climb where they shouldn't, and play games in dangerous situations, they are free within their right to do so, but then take on not only the responsibility for what happens to them, but also the responsibility of those that risk their lives to save them.

We are a defensive bunch because the poor choices of some tend to limit the freedom of us. This is true in cases like Fall Creek Gorge in Ithaca, which has been fenced and barricaded by Cornell, because students jump from bridges, or swim in rapids.

In this case, while it's not clear what happened to this teen, knowing Letchworth quite well myself, I guarantee you he was off the trail, over a barrier, and dangerously close to the cliff.

Although I mean no disrespect to any victim or their loved ones. My thoughts are a bit harsh:
If one is so inclined to believe they have the freedom to do stupid, life-threatening things, then the freedom must be extended for people to stand over their graves and question such things.

I personally have put myself in dangerous situations to get a better photograph. Just this last spring I took a tumble about 30 ft or so and busted up my leg and spine. If I ever die doing some crazy stunt, I want one of those sappy memorials put up near where I died. And I want it to say: "Idiot tried to climb down this cliff full of loose rocks. It cost taxpayers $10k and risked the lives of a 6-man rescue team" That would be a service to anyone else considering anything along the same lines of irresponsible.