Tompkins Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

orlcam88
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 60D

I've seen this fall called Thompkins Falls, but based on a book search it's called Tompkins. This is considered a 26ft fall but the amount of water streaming down was low. So much of the falls is a trickle. This shot is about the only spot that had significant water. I'm assuming during the Fall and early spring this would produce much more water. There is a man made wall towards the bottom of the fall which appears to be built to divert water.

The book that I found the name of is New York Waterfalls: A Guide for Hikers & Photographers By Scott E. Brown.

What I found interesting are the balancing stones left throughout this falls which gives it extra uniqueness to it. I didn't encounter this in other falls. But the falls itself is a beautiful site without these stones. The attached photo is one of the balanced stones with a small upper fall behind it.

Located: 42.075371,-74.764915

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I stopped there a couple of years ago on a cycling camping tour of Delaware County, during the first weekend in June. There was a bit more water flowing over the falls then...
Attachments
Tompkins Falls.jpg
Tompkins Falls.jpg (173.16 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Looks fun, thanks for sharing.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Love that photo with the stacked stones!