Ugliest "Falls" I've seen

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

Just east of Canajoharie right next to the Erie Canalway Trail is the ugliest 'falls' I've ever seen. I use quotes around 'falls' because I've been past it several times and never seen more than a light cascade of water, even in spring. But what I found remarkable is the way the water has deposited minerals on the rock face, creating what look like domes at the top and - for lack of better description - stalactites near the bottom and on the rock face. All I can guess is the water has been running for an exceedingly long time, and I find that especially surprising given all the building and development that surrounds it. 42.905361, -74.555889
Attachments
12 Ugly Falls.jpg
12 Ugly Falls.jpg (182.96 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Another view...
Attachments
12 Ugly Falls 3.jpg
12 Ugly Falls 3.jpg (206.09 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Closer look where the water rolls over the short vertical drop. It almost looks like decayed leaves, but I think it's rock because what else could it be? Wondering also what could create the brown and black coloring. Whatever it might be, it makes the rock pretty ugly.
Attachments
12 Ugly Falls 2.jpg
12 Ugly Falls 2.jpg (234.86 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Ha ha. Fun topic. You got MY attention. I suppose just like people, they can't all be beauties. Perhaps it's beautiful on the inside? ;)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Could be some type of algal mat, depends on whether it's flexible or not. If it's hard, then it's probably rock. It could also be a combination of the two, the algae traps particles and other debris that can then harden into a rock-like substance, but is not actually rock.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It looks like a slime mold (alga, bacteria) and mud.
I'm sure it's at least a little pretty in heavier flow.
I'm trying to think what was the ugliest for me.... I guess the small one in that buffalo cemetery- serenity falls. Mostly because of the smell and trash.