Peppermill Gulf is POSTED

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

**Admin note: See the Peppermill Gulf profile for information on this site.

Found it. 1.8 miles in from bridge crossing
80' tall in total, at least, really nice strong waterfall considering. Def. write up for this
Last edited by Matt on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added poll
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That looks like a waterfall from out west.
how's the water? clean?
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

water's clean, very cold too - its' the junk around the water that's bad - whoever lives (lived) at the top of the gulf threw tires, cars, snowmobiles down the hill....not sure if they live there still, but it looks like people have stopped throwing crap down there...
hayek
Rookie

I tried to visit this one yesterday, and someone has posted signs at the bridge and across the creek saying "Absolutely No Hiking", "You will be prosecuted", "We hunt in here", etc. They don't list a landowner name/address (and so they probably aren't legal posted signs). If this is public land, the neighbor must be trying to intimidate people into turning around. We weren't looking for trouble though, so we left.
Matt
President
President

The "We hunt in here" sign would seem very suspicious to me. If anyone has further information on this, please let us know. In the meantime I will update our page with a warning. Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!
hayek
Rookie

I asked one of the people who I was with and he said that he though it was something like "No Hiking / You Will Be Prosecuted" and "Danger!/No ATVs/No Hiking/Hunting In Area". However, counter to my report, these people just ran a 25 person trip up to the falls a couple of weeks ago: http://adventurers.meetup.com/103/calendar/7552481/

So either we misinterpreted the signs and they are intended for the land to river-left (though it appeared to us that they were directly in front of the creek from the pullout), or the neighbor put them up after this hike. I guess that next time I'm out that way I'll take a closer look (and a picture).
Matt
President
President

if you are there again, just ask some neighboors. They may have differrent stories. Or call the town clerk's office before hand and they should be able to tell you if it is privately owned:
Phone: (315)469-1583
Fax: (315)469-1549
Email: [email protected]
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

Interesting. When we were there, the no trespassing signs were on the left hand side of the creek - we walked on the right hand side. I will contact someone about the information about these falls.