Sidney, NY

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

lizavery
Rookie

I was over in Sidney this weekend and found this hidden gem, we'd had quite a bit of rain the few days before so it was flowing nicely. It's located on country route 23. Coming from exit 10 off I-88 take a left onto River Rd then a left onto country route 23, you will see Quarry Rd less then a mile up on your right, continue past Quarry Rd and look for the pull-off on the left. There is a trail leading down in, take a left on the trail and you will come to the waterfall, it was steep and slippery when we were there so use caution. The picture really doesn't do it justice, it's a must see for yourself.
Attachments
sidney.jpg
sidney.jpg (130.6 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
lizavery
Rookie

Also found this one, it's on route 8 between Sidney and Rockdale. When you come to the flashing light at "Rock" intersection, take a left and then take the first road on the left and it's about a quarter of a mile down the road. You can see it from the road, but it is on posted property so it is private.
Attachments
sidney private.jpg
sidney private.jpg (97.01 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I admit, I had to look Sidney up on the map. Looks like a lot of potential in that valley.. and these are great finds.

Check out these two falls just north of the village: http://binged.it/12pkHaF
Looks like they may be accessible from the road there.
RickyMac22
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 7d

The 2nd falls that are posted here are on private property. I know the owners and they dont want anyone up there without permission. You may be able to ask them for permission to shoot the area though since that's what I did and was granted access. They've had lots of kids down there lately throwing parties and underage drinking so they're cracking down on the area. There's an even bigger set of falls above this one that's owned by someone else, they're more strict though about people being up there.

Matt the link you posted are the falls Im talking about in this post. The entire area is private property, the lower set of falls Ive been able to get access to by asking the owners if I can shoot there. The upper falls Ive had no such luck with.