Cayudutta Creek Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

You'll find these falls where the Cayudutta Creek passes under Commons Road, which ties into Rte 334 about halfway between Fonda and Sammonsville. Some might say the upper 'falls' are more like rapids - fair enough as the largest drop probably isn't more than two feet or so. The lower falls is a drop of about six.

The bridge across the creek is very narrow, pretty much one lane. You may be able to park on the right just after you turn off Rte 334 onto Commons and walk across the bridge. I was riding my bike when I made my visit and I wasn't paying too much attention to possible parking areas.

The property on the corner of Rte 334 and Commons is posted. However the opposite side at the bridge abutment is not. From there it's possible to scamper down to the creek bed for another view of the falls.

The upper falls viewed from the bridge...
Attachments
cayudutta upper.jpg
cayudutta upper.jpg (173.21 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

The lower falls from the bridge...
Attachments
cayudutta lower 2.jpg
cayudutta lower 2.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

The lower falls, from the bank near the abutment...
Attachments
cayudutta lower.jpg
cayudutta lower.jpg (218.84 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks for posting this.
A map from 1905 shows a cheese factory nearby and a large pond (from damming) was just downstream. It looks like it was a hydroelectric dam. a rough 1868 map shows a SAG mill in that approximate location.