Unnamed Moravia waterfall

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Told myself I was gonna start shooting waterfalls again. So here we go. The recent deluges have made it perfect

Here off rt 38 on the west side of Owasco Lake:
http://binged.it/1bxwEMq

Lies this nice guy:

Visible almost immediately from the road to the left of the pull-off directly on the bridge. No posted signs on the leftside of the road. Somewhat of a well defined ridgeline path follows this gorge - you can see the above waterfall almost immediately, but you have to walk about 1/2 a mile down that path before you find any sort of drop off into the creek bed. Then you get down there, have to climb up this:
That one is probably 25' tall...slick scramble up the lefthand side, then you get to the above large one, which I'm guessing is 50-60' tall. Nice falls. I'm sure the recent rainfall is responsible for it looking so good.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Awesome! How would one get there? How many miles north of Moravia?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

I would say 3-4 miles, kinda near Cascade and the Cascade Grill. You are looking for Sherwood road...
redreamer
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: CANON REBEL XT EOS

that looks amazing.......

well yesterday i went with a friend to an 'unnamed waterfall' my friend who has lived in Moravia all her life didn't even know the name of the falls....... and we had to get there through private property and it adjoins the ruins of the old coal fired power station... basically just a wall with window spaces (though it is two stories high)......Anyone know if it has a name?

(I thought after all the rains waterfalls would be a great choice of subject)...and it was finally a nice day!

But i hate not knowing the name of places and i figured someone here might know.... it was accessible off route 38A but we went through a farm and parked before hiking down. (Not for the feint of heart).

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

That is Decker Creek Falls:

More here:
http://nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... ker#p60207

Nice shots, it's a nice area.
redreamer
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: CANON REBEL XT EOS

Well thank you! ha I KNEW someone here would know and i truly appreciate it........ thank you.

I love some of the angles you got..... i was there to do a photo shoot of a friend so the person was the focus not the location...... i wish i had more time there! But i did manage a few good shots of her.

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wonderful pics. I especially love the old power station building in there. This is a great find!
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I think I spied these falls yesterday, but wasn't sure and didn't see a path. Of course it was dawn and the embankment was quite dark.

I'm confused though. I dont see any Armstrong Road and your bing link shows it as further to the west on Mathers Road. But nonetheless I am quite sure I stopped roadside at these falls after hearing them while driving down 38. Theres a larger gully just north of there as well, I didnt see any posted signs.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook