Buttermilk Falls aka Horseshoe Falls, Cohoes NY

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

As if there aren't enough Buttermilk Falls across the state! This one was nearby so I took off on a bike ride to find it. This version of 'Buttermilk' is in Cohoes, near Peebles Island State Park. I approached the falls from the intersection of Park Ave and Gansevoort Ave, but one could also enter Peebles Island State Park and take one of the trails to a view on the opposite side. 42.776427, -73.687470.
Attachments
amended title
amended title
ButtermilkFalls.jpg (174.57 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice. I've always meant to get to Peebles Island, just never did. Might have to make the time one of these weekends.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Looks great. How is the flow of this river? does it ever drop down ? I'm thinking lower flow may define the falls a bit better for photos.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I took the pictures right after some rather heavy rains, so the river was pretty high; much more so than normal. I suppose it kind of looks more like a water smudge than a set of falls. I'd guess later in the summer the water would subside and the character of the fall would show through much more clearly. If I get the opportunity to head back there this summer I'll take more pictures.
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

Id like to make a correction to the name of these falls pictured here. These are not called Buttermilk Falls they are actually called Horse Shoe Falls. I grew up in Cohoes and have fished those falls many times. Questions were asked if the falls ever have less water and the answer is yes. In the summer time due to the power plants and such these falls almost go dry. It is a great fishing spot in the spring when the Herring are running and the Stripers are following them. There are so many Herring that you can almost walk on the water on them. These falls are fed from the Mohawk River about a mile downstream of the Cohoes Falls. Once the water goes over the falls the water enters the Hudson River. This is one of the few meeting points of the Hudson River and Mohawk Rivers. Its a great area for a nice hike at Peebles Island and wildlife viewing. Eagles can be seen many times in this area as there are nests just upstream and downstream of this area. I know of three nests within 5 miles of this area.

I have been away from this site for awhile including my camera I look forward to coming back and joining the group.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Thanks Eddie. For now, I'm going to amend the title of the topic to reflect both names. A quick google search turned up nothing for Horse Shoe Falls in Cohoes. Perhaps it is a name known mostly to locals?

Welcome back. Hope all is well. :)

Waterford........I was in Waterford this fall......nice little area! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
RickyMac22
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 7d

My friends just moved to Cohoes right near the bigger falls so I'll have to check these out too in a couple of weeks when I go to visit.