Cazenovia Creek

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

CazenoviaCreeker
Rookie

There is a beautiful waterfall .9 miles above the West Falls dam/waterfalls. Since the Cazenovia Creek is in my backyard, I have found quite a few waterfalls that a lot of people don't know about.
Attachments
116.JPG
116.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1186 times
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

hi Creeker!...
I'm sure you know about the falls along Tannery Road. Also there's a few falls on Pipe Creek which flows into Cazenovia a few miles south of there. Growing up our boy scout troop had land along Pipe Creek. We would climb down the ravine and visit the falls.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
CazenoviaCreeker
Rookie

Yes, I actually visited (hiked to) the Tannery Rd. falls on Saturday too. Not much water, but still beautiful. I've never been to Pipe Creek. Where does it run into the Cazenovia? It must be further up-creek (south) of Colden?
cbobcat49

It's about a half mile south of West Falls. Route 240 goes over a bridge over Cazenovia here. Just as you go over the bridge, look to the east and you'll see a tributary. That's Pipe Creek. Access at that point is blocked by a chain with a posted sign on it.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
CazenoviaCreeker
Rookie

I know where that is. I think you access it from Knapp Rd. Hopefully an unknowing paddler upstream doesn't put in and get caught in the chain!

I have kayaked the West Branch, East Branch and Main Branch of the Cazenovia and thank God I didn't come across a chain. The ledges, strainers, falls and dams are dangerous enough. As the American Whitewater lawyers say, "those who block the public from navigable waters, are seizing a property right that the public owns." If the creek is running, I paddle it. I take pride in keeping the creek free from garbage and debris. The West Branch where I live is extremely clean and respected! I love the Cazenovia Creek and the many unknown waterfalls on it!
cbobcat49

Where do you put in on the West Branch? Somewhere near Kissing Bridge? I know up near Sprague Brook the creek has split up into all its headwater tributaries.
CazenoviaCreeker
Rookie

The easiest put in (other than my backyard) is @ the West Falls Dam @ Bridge St.