Platte Clove - March 2012

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

SunfallsNWatershine
Rookie
Camera Model: Iphone4 & Galaxy s3

That looks like the one for sure. Thanks guys! and that map should make it a little easier once i get there.
trinitrotoluene
Rookie

BryanSwan wrote: From what I know, there are at least eight significant named waterfalls along the Plattekill (I would bet more). Russell Dunn gives a good amount of detail in his Catskill Region Waterfall Guide about the names of these falls, but his information seems to contradict itself regarding the order of the falls. As best as I can deduce, top to bottom they are as follows: Old Mill Falls, Plattekill Falls, Pomeroy Falls, Rainbow Falls, Lower Rainbow Falls (aka Hell Hole Falls), Green Falls (aka Evergreen Falls), Rocky Rapids, Gray Rock Falls, Upper Red Falls, Lower Red Falls.

I believe Pomeroy Falls is what is now known as Bridal Veil Falls, but at the same time, the falls known as Bridal Veil is so close to the next drop downstream (the one right at the junction with Hell Hole Brook) that I would almost have to believe those two are Rainbow and Lower Rainbow Falls respectively, and that Pomeroy Falls is a smaller drop between (Bridal Veil) and the bottom of Plattekill Falls itself.
It certainly doesn't help that according to the guides from Discover Outdoors (or whatever it's called now), who run a canyoneering trip down the 3 waterfalls at the head of the clove, Rainbow Falls is the third waterfall (below Bridal Veil and Hell's Hole). I guess waterfall namers nowadays are just as uncreative as they were in the 19th century. ("Bridal Veil Falls"? "Rainbow Falls"? Why not rename Plattekill Falls "High Falls" and Old Mill Falls "Buttermilk Falls"?)

If anyone wants to see pictures with zero water, blurriness and bad contrast you can look here: http://245579.wix.com/randomcascades#!u ... kill/c1qsz

I do not think there is any sort of waterfall between the base of Plattekill and the top of Bridal Veil. Maybe some small rapids. I don't know what "Pomeroy Falls" could have referred to.

For visiting a place like this a general rule is to be with someone who knows what they're doing. It's not safe, but that doesn't mean you should avoid it; just don't die.