Beaver Meadow Falls, St. Hubert's, Adirondack region

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Added this new topic, because this hike was clearly different and some mapping explanation may help others.

The hike to Beaver Meadows Falls is mostly easy with the total Adirondack feel. But how you get there, where to park, and the land arrangement are unique enough, that a brief explanation may help others wanting to venture out to see waterfalls in this area.

The unique arrangement with the Adirondack Mountain Reserve let's you hike in and enjoy these private lands. (see the hiker's sign) You can walk the many trails or a well maintained road until a trail splits off. The unique thing is that you start in parking lots on Route 73 (see trail map- may have to download my photo of the map to enlarge it) and hike up through the Ausable Club which is a very cool throw back to yesteryear. A beautiful huge yellow clubhouse with a grand porch across the whole front, which faces a golf course, tennis courts and private residences. A hidden summer community. This Reserve has trails to what have been rated some of the best High Peaks views in the State and two waterfalls of mention, Beaver Meadow Falls and Rainbow Falls. Trails are marked well. There is no hunting on the reserve, so deer have little fear and deer flies are persistent. Bring bug spray.

3 Pics of Beaver Meadows Falls, 1 tributary waterfall, and from the trail head...a hiker's sign and trail map

Beaver Meadow Falls 1, St. Hubert's NY by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

Beaver Meadow Falls 2, St. Hubert's NY by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

Beaver Meadow Falls 3, St. Hubert's NY by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

Smaller falls near Beaver Meadow Falls, St. Hubert's by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

Hiker sign, Beaver Meadow Falls, St. Hubert's by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

Trail Map to Beaver Meadow Falls, St. Hubert's by ApproachingLight, on Flickr
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Great shots! You definitely got a better pic than I did at The Flume.
http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1790
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Those are awesome photos David!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice shots. One of my favorite places to go, there are so many waterfalls along the road to the lake that you can't see them in one day without serious effort. What I usually do is either the north side or south side. A nice hike in along the north trail past Wedge Brook falls, Pyramid Falls is a short side trip, then Beaver Meadow, up to Lost Lookout, then down to Rainbow falls and out the road.

The south side trip I do is in the road to Gill Brook with a stop at the flume, then up Gill Brook past Artist's Falls and a couple others, to Indian Head for views of the lake & lunch, then down to the lake road and back out. A side trip to Rainbow Falls can also be done if you have the time & stamina to do it.

While not horribly steep, depending on what side trips you take, the walk is pretty long, you usually can't get away without doing at least 8 miles.
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shots Dave, I spent a lot of time on that road it got to the point that we hated the walk out. True you can get to many 46er peaks via the road (shortest way for most) They also have armed security roaming their land. If I remember (as LGD said) there is 10 or more water falls in the area.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

L_G_D & Backpaker
Great additions. So tell us more. If it offers a great/shortest route to some of the best of the 46 and there are other worthy waterfalls, maybe we owe it others to offer your wisdom. I had but one afternoon. What other waterfalls and where? For photos I beg others to consider using a polarizer, and...simple as it sounds, wait for a cloud. So simple but gosh it really helps reduce the wicked contrast you get at mid-day.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Went down the West River trail, got to Rainbow falls then did Sawteeth to top it off. Lovely area - lots of rain!
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice one :up: No Beaver Meadow falls?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook