FOUND! Deer River: Unamed or Deer Falls!

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Artist4God
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: FUJI S3200

This may already be oh here somewhere, but I didn't see these falls listed anywhere on this site...so, I'm adding them now.

My husband and I were driving down Rt. 26 in the town of "Deer River" in Lewis County (we didn't know exactly where we were until we looked it up today on Google Earth) and we stumbled upon these lovely unnamed or "Deer Falls" (I'm not sure which). My "guesstimate" is that they are about a 10-15 foot drop and that the river there was about 25 feet wide? I have videos which I'll add ASAP.
DSCF8592.JPG
DSCF8589.JPG
HPIM4883.JPG
DSCF8584.JPG
DSCF8575.JPG
I just found them on another site at: http://www.nnywaterfalls.com/deerriver/deerriverfalls/
God bless you and yours!
Rose
www.Artist4God.net
Artist4God
Senior
Senior

God bless you and yours!
Rose
www.Artist4God.net
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice find Rose! I wonder why military personel arent allowed to enjoy the falls? It doesnt prohibit civilians...just warns that its dangerous. The sign says "Kings Falls"
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Artist4God
Senior
Senior

hobkyl wrote:Nice find Rose! I wonder why military personel arent allowed to enjoy the falls? It doesnt prohibit civilians...just warns that its dangerous. The sign says "Kings Falls"
I believe the "Kings Falls" refers to another part of the falls in the river (in a town called 'Copenhagen') that shows the entire area of the river 'off limits' to the military. I wonder too about the "off limits" to the military personnel, but am guessing it specifies them as it is near the huge army base of Fort Drum? It sure was pretty tho! I was hoping to see at least one falls in our trek through unknown (to us) territory of the Tug Hill Plateau. I hope to make it a bit further East to the Adirondacks themselves soon!
God bless you and yours!
Rose
www.Artist4God.net
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

excellent find!
trinitrotoluene
Rookie

I remembered the existence of a Deer River Falls in Copenhagen from long ago and looked it up. Sadly it appears to be turned off by a dam most of the time, but Google Earth gives a height of 41 meters (counting the dam) which, for a big river, is fairly impressive. I'm surprised I've been able to find so little information about it, but perhaps this photo explains why (that big unsightly pipe blocking the view). The waterfall is here if anyone cares to take a closer look.

Copenhagen, NY: Waterfall at town entrace by Henrik Moltke, on Flickr

Kings Falls is a few miles further downstream and apparently easier to access since I found a lot more photos of it. Here's one. Google Earth says it's about 13 meters

(neither of these are mine obv, i've never been north of albany)

(actually that's a lie i've been to the 'dacks once before, but mostly the upper hudson river area)
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great info!