Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Lick Brook Ithaca

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Lick Brook Ithaca

Postby bremer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 pm

I visited Lick Brook back in late August and used the parking lot off of 13. Map There is also a parking option starting upstream of the falls thats given in the 200 waterfalls book. The flow at the time was almost nothing so most of my photos were of flowers and the railroad bridge the trail crosses rather than falls. Lick Brook definitely has great potential and I'm sure it's been flowing really well the last few weeks. The section leading up to the main amphitheater is similar to clarks glen in naples - towering cliff faces and one continuous waterfall.

"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
bremer
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230
Challenge wins: :star5:

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Lick Brook Ithaca

Postby hobkyl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Excellent Bremer! Thanks for posting :up: That large falls is impressive with water in it...but your photo is impressive just the same. Love the lush green feel you get in your photos!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:59 pm

excellent series.
A place I definitely have to get to next spring.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby hobkyl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:54 pm

An outing??
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby spec » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm actually going either this or next weekend if y'all are interested. Either Sat or Sun of both weekends is fine with me.
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Postby hobkyl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:39 pm

All tied up next 2 weekends otherwise Id be there
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby Dingoblu » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:12 am

I'd love to meet up with some of you peeps one of these days for a group outing! That would be awesome to meet some of you, but alas this weekend I am Little Red Riding Hood. We are really big on Halloween up here :)
Dingoblu
Junior
Junior

Camera Model: Nikon N 80, kodak easy share

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Land Trust gains Lick Brook woodland
A 20-acre woodland along Lick Brook has been added to the Finger Lakes Land Trust's chain of natural areas.

Ree Thayer, and her children, donated the land straddling the border between the towns of Ithacaand Danby. The property adds a link to the Emerald Necklace, a proposed greenway to link 50,000 acres of existing public open space extending from Finger Lakes National Forest west of Ithaca to Hammond Hill and Robinson Hollow State Forests to the east.

The Lick Brook gorge is a popular hiking and recreation area two miles from downtown Ithaca. The donated land borders parcels owned by the Land Trust and New York state and managed as part of Buttermilk Falls State Park. A hiking trail crosses the site and links it to the Land Trust's nearby Sweedler Preserve at Lick Brook.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/article ... RONTPAGE|p
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby bremer » Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 am

Sadly Lick Brook will be dry soon but for the meantime it looks great. Most of the other falls were in direct sun so I didn't bother taking
photos except at the main amphitheater. Upstream of the main falls there are another 10-ish falls, the tallest being 15-20 ft. The preserve
kiosk with maps, historical info, ect, is at the eastern end parking lot (top of the hill). Seems like most of the people visiting today were
coming from here - probably because the lower lot has no sign except for a flx trail sign. Those coming with the primary goal of taking photos
may not find the upper part of the creek worth the steep and strenuous climb - there are quite a few falls but not too photogenic, though I'm
sure my opinion would change in the fall. Overall the trip is pretty tiring (its similar to climbing up the buttermilk falls trail) but when you take
the detour into the creek you never have to climb any drops more than a few feet so the danger of falling or getting injured is pretty low as
compared to other off-trail adventures.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
bremer
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230
Challenge wins: :star5:

Postby hobkyl » Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 am

Great pic Brett! Man I hope it doesn't dry up too soon! That's on my short list.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Next