Deer Brook Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

This one is listed on the main waterfall page, but doesn't appear to have a topic yet, so here it is.

We hiked up Deer Brook October 3rd, a few days after a tropical storm had dropped about 5-6 inches of rain over the entire region, so it was running pretty good. Usually this stream is pretty low since it doesn't drain a large area and usually only has lots of water during spring thaw. You park along the road just outside Keene Valley and walk up the stream along a trial that follows the stream pretty closely for the most part, crossing it several times. Most of the way it is on private land that has been given access to the public, so proper respect should be given. There is a road/driveway that can also be used to hike to the main falls if you don't want to hike along the stream but the public isn't allowed to drive on it. You can hike it though. As long as the water isn't so high that it makes the several crossings too difficult to do, I would suggest walking up the stream, since there are many smaller waterfalls and a small cave to see on the way. The gorge that the stream runs through is very pretty as well, and worth the trip. What I usually do is hike up the stream to the falls, then back down the road.

Here are a few of the pictures I took along the lower part of the stream:

The bottom part of the main falls, a nice place to have lunch:

and if you feel ambitious, you can hike an informal path around the main falls to the upper part, where if you hit it at the right time of day, you might get a rainbow. We didn't that day, so no rainbow in this shot.

You can also get a nice view of Giant Mountain through the trees from up there as well. I took an HDR from there of the view, but I haven't processed it yet. If it turns out decent, I'll post it.
LGD
Dingoblu
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Nikon N 80, kodak easy share

Very nice!
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

these are pretty falls, and seems you captured the staircase look really well.

David
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

really nice shots, especially the low angle ones.
Beautifully captured
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Thanks everyone, we lucked out with the water, usually it's pretty thin.
LGD
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

:D WOW Great pictures!! I wish I could change camera settings on mine to get these types of results :cry: ! I too really like the low angle you used to take photos - makes the pictures even more beautiful than they'd be with normal viewing ! Thanks for posting them....
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban