T Lake Falls and other ADK falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Too bad, I won't be able to make it. Have fun.
LGD
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

[important]Lost image[/important]

Just a quick post to let you know I got out safely. I went in from Mountain Home Road to the bottom of the falls. I'll have a full report with GPS coordinates for the trailhead and bushwhack in a few days.
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: lost image
Dingoblu
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Nikon N 80, kodak easy share

Nice shot, can't wait to read the report!
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Excellent George! Glad you made it and cant wait to read report...sounds like you came in from the bottom?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

The approach from Mountain Home Road to the bottom of the falls is the safest way to see the falls. This involves about 1 hour of trail hiking, fording the South Branch of West Canada Creek, then about 2 hours of bushwhacking on a fairly well marked herd path.

The trailhead is at the end of Mountain Home Road, which leaves Route 8 about 2 miles west of the hamlet of Hoffmeister. At 2.1 miles you reach the end of the paved road with posted signs everywhere. This is also the snowplow turnaround, so don’t plan on driving past here in winter, or parking here. Go another mile on a dirt road to the trailhead. This road was in very good condition, and my Prius passed with no problem. Park where a couple of logging roads appear on the right. About 100 yards from the road is a barrier and trail register, just before you cross Mad Tom Brook. At about ½ hour you reach a significant creek and another ½ hour the South Branch of West Canada Creek. This trail mostly follows an old woods road, parts are muddy, and the area is heavily hunted. I saw moose tracks.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to find a good way to cross the creek without getting wet feet – there isn’t one. Bring Crocs or water shoes and hiking poles. Your strategy should be to get across while getting only your feet wet. I went downstream about 100 feet to where grassy islands have grown up and only had to take a half dozen steps in 9” of water. These islands may be covered at higher water.

From the crossing the trail becomes a well-worn herd path that is frequently marked with surveyors tape and occasional red blazes. The blazes turn to yellow when you get close to the falls. However you will lose the path from time to time. Be prepared to navigate by compass and/or GPS , travelling northeast paralleling the South Branch on your left. After crossing the South Branch, follow the path east a short distance, until it splits from the path towards Twin Lakes, which is also flagged with surveyors tape, so be careful. The path you want parallels the South Branch. If you follow a path heading due east where a creek appears on your right, go back towards the South Branch and try again.

I was hoping to post GPS waypoints for the bushwhack, but when I plotted my waypoints on Google Earth, they were off by a few hundred feet. Although they were accurate enough to get me back on course, I hesitate to post them until I figure this out. I lost the trail more coming out than I did going in because the backlit sun made it difficult to see the flagging. The waypoints got me back to within 30 feet of the creek crossing.

Which brings me to the question – is it really 300 feet tall? I saw no reason to believe otherwise. I think you can see the entire slide, including the brink, from the bottom and in some of these pictures. There was also plenty of water despite the dry summer, leading me to believe it does not go dry. If you ever want to go, drop me a line. I'd love to do it again.

[important]2 lost images[/important]
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: images lost
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great trip report George! Thanks for sharing.
George wrote:Which brings me to the question – is it really 300 feet tall? I saw no reason to believe otherwise. I think you can see the entire slide, including the brink, from the bottom and in some of these pictures. There was also plenty of water despite the dry summer, leading me to believe it does not go dry. If you ever want to go, drop me a line. I'd love to do it again.
Yeah I'm thinking not. Maybe it falls a total of 300'? From T-Lake? You can clearly see (near) the top of these falls....any other drops upstream of that would be a seperate falls.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

You are probably right. When I was there, I estimated the height of the small horizontal fracture that I marked with a red line below to be about 10 feet from the bottom. A very crude measurement from the photo, ignoring foreshortening, is that this is 3/8" up, and the entire falls is 3.75" high. This would put the falls at about 100 feet. Foreshortening would increase this somewhat, but not triple it.

[important]Image lost[/important]
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: image lost
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwphotosee ... /lightbox/

Came across a nice photo of T lake falls with a person standing at the base for scale. The person really emphasizes the height and width of the falls and rock joints... will definitely put this on next years list.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography