Edwards Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

[strike]Edwards falls has been mentioned here but there wasnt an official thread yet.[/strike] Edwards is in Manlius, Onondaga Co, is around 50-60', and is in the 200 waterfalls book. The book mentions that you "might" be able to see it from the apartment complex parking lot. Even if the woods were clear-cut that would not be the case. There is a nature trail running behind the complex and when it reaches the southern edge of the property it heads down into the gully. This trail continues almost all the way to the falls and is fairly well defined. There is another trail that winds along the creek edge for a bit. There are a few large pools in the creek that are quite deep including one with a rope swing. I also saw a tree fort structure and lawn furniture. It seems to be a pretty popular local hangout. There are posted signs perhaps 40-50 yards from the falls, but this is close enough for a good view. The pool under the falls appears quite deep (perhaps more than 15'?) and when I was here last year people were swimming despite the signs. Even though this area is traveled pretty heavily its private property and I would tread lightly and pick-up trash.

Last edited by bremer on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Nice falls pics. :up:
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

whoops! I missed that thread somehow...
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

did you see Old Dam Falls while you were there?
gcs
Rookie

The description on at the top is spot-on. There are also several sulphur-smelling springs adjacent to the creek that are pretty interesting. One has remnants of an old stone bridge (the arch is still visible), and is surrounded by old tires, tin roofing, bricks (from some long-gone structure), etc. A modern "camp" (described above) is on the other side of the creek with lots of "party" evidence (beer cans, etc.) . There's a well-trod path from the camp up the west side of the gorge, but I didn't follow it. I went once in early July on a hot day and went in the pool. It was at least 7' deep, though the water was turbid and I couldn't see the bottom. I went again in late July with my wife. Someone had cut the wire from which hung a 'no trespassing' sign in the interim. We sat on the west side of the creek a few feet from other signs (ugly and nailed to trees). We saw someone on the east rim of the gorge hiding in the woods and watching us. They were near the only visible house (at least from the west side of the falls) on what I assume is the old mill foundation. We tried to ignore it for a few minutes but finally waved to them. They went deeper in the woods. We were creeped out by the episode (perhaps their intention) so we left. Assuming the falls really are privately owned (a shame in my opinion), it's a beautiful spot that I hope someday the Town of Manlius can acquire.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

edward's and old dam falls should be in different classifications - they are quite far and different from one another
Cattitude
Rookie

I've been told about Edward's Falls and Old Dam, however I'm confused because I've heard from locals a couple of different stories. I've been told that "Old Dam" is what USED to be Edward's Falls before they dammed it up and made it into a dinky dam-thing. So basically Edward's Falls is no longer in existence (?!), and what many people refer to as "Edward's Falls" is actually Brickyard Falls, named after an old brickyard whose power source came from the waterfall. So what's the story? I hiked down the gully behind Suburban the other day and followed Limestone Creek until I could not go any further due to rough terrain and inadequate footwear (I'm going back ASAP with all the proper gear and I WILL CROSS THAT CREEK AND FEAST MY EYES ON THOSE FALLS!) I also tried approaching from Pompey Center Rd. and got a view of the very top of the falls where there is a "Private Property" sign strung across the entire width of the creek. Unfortunately whatever (eh hem, holding my tongue) "guy" built that house, built it very close to the waterfall and I didn't want to be a creepy trespasser.

So basically, is it Edward's Falls or Brickyard Falls? Is it true that "Old Dam" used to be the real "Edward's Falls" and what many refer to as Edward's is actually Brickyard?