The Rat Hole

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Many of the places in the Kaaterskill area have almost magical names, Black Chasm, Devil's Kitchen, Naiad's Bath, but I guess they weren't feeling too creative when they named the Rat Hole. Well, at least they didn't call it Buttermilk Falls, but that's already taken by a fall less than a mile away, so.....

The Rat Hole is located on Kaaterskill Creek, just below Moore's Bridge. In the summer, it's a popular swimming spot and can get quite crowded with people jumping off the rocks. Along with people, there is graffiti, of course, can't seem to get away from that. But, it is a nice little fall that is obviously the remains of a much larger extinct waterfall since the plunge pool is enormous compared the the fall that is there now. It must have been quite a sight when the big fall was creating that pool, it might have been well over 200 feet tall.

Here's a shot in January when the water was running fast and muddy...

...and a summer shot with some people enjoying the day.

I have more shots on film that I will post once I get them scanned.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

That looks fun!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

lol. Nice action shot.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

wow. What a difference a change in season makes. The water level has to be about 4 feet higher in that winter shot.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks.

Just before I took the summer shot, someone's dog walked up beside me, dripping, and shook off getting my brand new camera all wet. Luckily no damage.

Here it is on Bing though you mostly just see the pool.

Approximate location on Google
LGD
idlehands
Rookie
Camera Model: iPhone4s

Last time I was there the parking lot was closed off. Is that still the case?
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yeah, last time I was through there, the parking lot had been blocked off, not sure why or if it will remain that way. They've been systematically closing parking areas on that road for a few years now. The only one still open that I know of is the Tannery lot which is quite a ways uphill, so if you want to see any of the falls in the lower section, you have to park up there and walk a mile or two along the road, is that more safe than a close by parking area where all you have to do is cross the road?
LGD
idlehands
Rookie
Camera Model: iPhone4s

Well that blows. If it was just me I'd walk or bike the road but not with my 5year old son. Super lame. I guess rat hole and faws leap is off our todo list. Grumble.