Twin Glens - Tompkins County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

hobkyl wrote:It looks as though if coming in from the top there is a wide shoulder on Cayuga Heights Road pretty much in between the two glens.
Waaaay old thread, but worth reopening. :)

Went to Ludlowville Falls on Sunday, passing Twin Glens both ways. On the way up, I caught a glimpse up the lower parts of the glens and WOW! Planned to stop and grab some pics on the way back. Got to Ludlowville and had a little bit of bad luck taking pics (my remote control took a :crap:) and that frustrated me all to hell. FIgured pictures were out so on the way back instead of getting pics of the lower glens, I scouted the upper parts from Twin Glens Rd and Cayuga Heights Rd. These roads are much narrower than the Google Earth views would lead you to believe. The shoulders aren't much to speak of and that one turn at the top of the southern glen is tight as hell. From what I could see while going around there, the glens are about 15-20ft deep at that point, and I could see a good amount of water at one point. While I didn't see any markings for the public "natural area" and/or "wild lands" on Twin Glens Rd, I also didn't see any posted signs in the area where I reckoned the access is. There was no obvious trail or any other distinctions that I could see. I'm still a bit skittish about "just jumpin' in the woods" on this one -- the houses are pretty close together and I'd be bound to draw some attention sooner than later.

I took a wrong turn coming of Cayuga Heights, so ended up going in the opposite direction than I wanted to, so I didn't get back down to the lower glens at all. I _kinda_ have things worked out with my remote control so since it's only ~45min away from me I may head back there today and see if I can get some good shots. :cross:
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

:popcorn:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We stopped by here over the summer and checked out the glens from the downstream (lake) side. The lowest drops were about 20 feet tall. Not very photogenic. We couldn't climb up since these creeks are nestled really close in between houses.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

cbobcat49 wrote:We stopped by here over the summer and checked out the glens from the downstream (lake) side. The lowest drops were about 20 feet tall. Not very photogenic. We couldn't climb up since these creeks are nestled really close in between houses.

It is quite close in there that's for sure. Supposedly the lower part of the northern glen is on "public" property, but the proximity of the houses does make one think twice about entering.

(I ended up not getting back there today as I'd hoped to. :()
-----
spec