2010 - What's Missing?

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

RichieC
Rookie

Saturday, July 29th, 2017 - went to Wolcott Falls. Do you have that listed on your list?

There is a little park called Wolcott Falls park where they are located. Very easy trail - about .2 mile or so.
Here's a photo of the falls:
Attachments
wolcott falls.jpg
wolcott falls.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 8678 times
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

Wow ! You caught it with some heavy water flow. nice shot.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
meg.tamilio
Rookie

Hiya! So, I visited Delphi Falls yesterday for the first time (very cool). When I got home, I started googling the history of the town and the falls - interesting! I also starting looking on Google Earth and found some falls on the same Limestone Creek not too far away in New Woodstock. However, a google search provided nothing. Here are a few pics (this is solely from Google Earth, I have-not tried accessing these on my own, as I'm assuming it's private property.) Anyone know anything about these?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.52.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.52.30 PM.png (465.17 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.52.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.52.06 PM.png (56.03 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.51.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.51.48 PM.png (539.66 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

This falls was is now open to public. And there is actually two falls in there. Lower falls and an upper falls too.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
RichieC
Rookie

To escape the doldrums of COVID-19, back in early April, the family and I took a drive to Lake Placid. Unfortunately, High Falls gorge is still closed. But we ventured up to Franklin Falls and Union Falls, both which are northeast of Lake Placid. I don't have any pictures to post, but they are easy to find. Franklin Falls can only be seen from the road, as it is near a power plant or something. Not a great view, but it was ok. Union falls was more impressive (photos can be found with a quick search). It starts out as a dam that ends up as natural falls. There is a little trail nearby that is short and easy away from the falls.
RichieC
Rookie

First off, let me say a big thank you to Matt C and anyone else affiliated with this website! I use the waterfall map all the time to see what's near wherever I am going.

This site is a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate the hard work you have put into this.

Not sure if you are aware of it (not seeing it on the map), but there is a park in Amsterdam NY called Kirk Douglas Park (named after the late actor).

The park itself is small and not much to look at and could use some sprucing up, but there are two waterfalls there (upper and lower) that have a pretty moderate flow. According to digthefalls.com, it appears the upper falls are called Pappas falls, and the lower ones are called Mammas falls. (Not sure if those are officially the real names or not.)

Falls are pretty easy to find - best view of the lower falls is from the road. Walk about a tenth of a mile or less up the steps to see the upper falls. See attached of lower falls and upper falls respectively.
Attachments
8.21.21 lower falls at Kirk Douglas park.jpg
8.21.21 upper falls at Kirk Douglas park.jpg