Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Seneca co...waterfalls.

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Seneca co...waterfalls.

Postby kimallen50 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:39 pm

I posted this earlier in the wrong place...I gotta be really bored to be doing this but I grew up there and know of a couple of falls that aren't on your maps near Ovid and Sheldrake..One you can see from Combs rd..One is probably 40 foot tall or at least it seemed to be when I was 12...I'll give more info is anyone is interested.
kimallen50
Rookie

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Seneca co...waterfalls.

Postby cbobcat49 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:41 pm

we're interested! :)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby hobkyl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Always interested in new falls! :dance2:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby kimallen50 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 pm

First Falls...I did this off of Google maps from Oak Creek falls...Follow Cayuga lake east to Sheldrake/ Cr-139...Sheldrake Creek is the first creek east of Cr-139....It should be an easy hike up the creek to the falls..I don't think it's a mile. We used to swim in the pool there but there was a bunch of junk farm equipment dumped in it..It should have a fair amount of water by creek standards in the spring. I'm guessing the falls is 30 plus feet but I haven't been there in 45 years. If anyone goes there get a pic. I'm curious..
kimallen50
Rookie

Postby kimallen50 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Oops..I just remembered....Where Sheldrake creek goes under Ny 96 between Ovid and Interlaken there should be a falls directly under the road..It may not be Sheldrake cr but it is one between Interlaken and cr-139
kimallen50
Rookie

Postby kimallen50 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Bonus falls....Take 414 South of Ovid ...Go west on combs rd...Falls is after you pass McCarriager about half way between McCarriager and Cr-131...You can see it from the rd...The creek is called "16 falls creek" so there might be more but maybe they're counting the 3 footers...I'm guessing this falls is 15 feet high..
kimallen50
Rookie

Postby cbobcat49 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:01 pm

I went looking for Oak Creek Falls and Sheldrake Falls last summer but gave up on finding either. There didn't look to be a way down to the creek at Groves Creek (Oak Tree) and Sheldrake's access point was all deep standing water. (only a few hundred yards from the lake) Looking at Google Earth again, it looks like there may be a better access point through the winery on the opposite side of the creek. I'll have to try again on both of those. Sixteen Falls Creek has been on my "to do" list for awhile. Thanks for posting!

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Postby hobkyl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Heres some falls on Sheldrake Creek. Unfortunately since Bing swithced to Beta....I cant get a view of Sixteen Falls Creek. I use to have google 3d...will have to download it again...but think I posted a thread in the maps discussion about what I think is 16 Falls.....however the link is now dead.

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/2pzxljpxv16hzg7o

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/fhmo769jcvcwv8nm
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Brenda » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Hey Kim, I think that I remember you. Is Dr. Allen your dad?
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Postby champy1013 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:23 am

cbobcat49 wrote:I went looking for Oak Creek Falls and Sheldrake Falls last summer but gave up on finding either. There didn't look to be a way down to the creek at Groves Creek (Oak Tree) and Sheldrake's access point was all deep standing water. (only a few hundred yards from the lake) Looking at Google Earth again, it looks like there may be a better access point through the winery on the opposite side of the creek. I'll have to try again on both of those. Sixteen Falls Creek has been on my "to do" list for awhile. Thanks for posting!

Chris

Oak Tree?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2715&p=31236&hilit=oak+tree#p31236
?
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D (Canon EF-S 17-85mm, Sigma 10-20mm), Olympus E-300
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Next

Return to NY Waterfall Discussion

Thanks for supporting our sponsors