Falls in Hannacroix Ravine

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Hannacroix Ravine is a small preserve owned by the Nature Conservancy, in Albany County off Cass Hill road. It happens to be point #18 on the original Long Path points set down over 70 years ago, if memory serves. The few other times I've been there, the water level was very low, almost completely dry. Thanks to the passing of the remnants of a hurricane Saturday, there was plenty of water Sunday when I was there. Luckily, I found a way down to the stream from the top of the ravine where the trail is, otherwise, it's a bit of a walk down the trail to the crossing where you can then head up the ravine to the falls.

Google map
LGD
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Nice shots of both this and Partridge Run. I knew of this one, but not the others. Looks like those logs have been there a while.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I'm really enjoying seeing you guys' pics of all these Albany area falls! I'm completely unfamiliar with them since I'm all the way at the other end of the state.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks. These are nice when the water is running, which makes it more difficult to get to them, which is usually the case. If you had to walk down the trail to the crossing, then up the stream, plan on wet feet or take water shoes. When I was there in the summer, the stream was bone dry in most places, but I could see how it would be hard to navigate during high water and keep your feet dry.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice thanks for sharing!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

cbobcat49 wrote:I'm really enjoying seeing you guys' pics of all these Albany area falls! I'm completely unfamiliar with them since I'm all the way at the other end of the state.
Same here. This is helping me get a feel for what's out there and what to tackle when I start working my way out there.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I took this on a bike ride past the Hannacroix Preserve in November of 2011. Unfortunately having my bike with me I couldn't lug it along to the base of the falls for a better picture. I'd already explored Partridge Run, and had plans to ride from here to Alcove Falls, Coeyman's Falls, and Cohoes Falls as well - so I was a bit short of time as well. This view is from the very edge of the ravine; not a particularly good picture but the best I could manage. I'd guess it's about a 50 foot drop down to the creek bed, perhaps a bit more.
Attachments
hannacroix precipice.jpg
hannacroix precipice.jpg (249.49 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Pretty cool. I haven't been over there since I took those last pictures, I don't think. Nice to see there's still water flowing sometimes. I suppose the spring is the best time, much like Thacher Park and Partridge Run, otherwise these all tend to dry up.
LGD