Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Falls in Hannacroix Ravine

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Falls in Hannacroix Ravine

Postby L_G_D » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Hannacroix Ravine is a small preserve owned by the Nature Conservancy, in Albany County off Cass Hill road. It happens to be point #18 on the original Long Path points set down over 70 years ago, if memory serves. The few other times I've been there, the water level was very low, almost completely dry. Thanks to the passing of the remnants of a hurricane Saturday, there was plenty of water Sunday when I was there. Luckily, I found a way down to the stream from the top of the ravine where the trail is, otherwise, it's a bit of a walk down the trail to the crossing where you can then head up the ravine to the falls.

Google map
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Falls in Hannacroix Ravine

Postby George » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Nice shots of both this and Partridge Run. I knew of this one, but not the others. Looks like those logs have been there a while.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm really enjoying seeing you guys' pics of all these Albany area falls! I'm completely unfamiliar with them since I'm all the way at the other end of the state.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby L_G_D » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks. These are nice when the water is running, which makes it more difficult to get to them, which is usually the case. If you had to walk down the trail to the crossing, then up the stream, plan on wet feet or take water shoes. When I was there in the summer, the stream was bone dry in most places, but I could see how it would be hard to navigate during high water and keep your feet dry.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby hobkyl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:38 am

Nice thanks for sharing!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 am

cbobcat49 wrote:I'm really enjoying seeing you guys' pics of all these Albany area falls! I'm completely unfamiliar with them since I'm all the way at the other end of the state.

Same here. This is helping me get a feel for what's out there and what to tackle when I start working my way out there.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby Jeduthan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am

I took this on a bike ride past the Hannacroix Preserve in November of 2011. Unfortunately having my bike with me I couldn't lug it along to the base of the falls for a better picture. I'd already explored Partridge Run, and had plans to ride from here to Alcove Falls, Coeyman's Falls, and Cohoes Falls as well - so I was a bit short of time as well. This view is from the very edge of the ravine; not a particularly good picture but the best I could manage. I'd guess it's about a 50 foot drop down to the creek bed, perhaps a bit more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450
Challenge wins: None

Postby L_G_D » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:57 am

Pretty cool. I haven't been over there since I took those last pictures, I don't think. Nice to see there's still water flowing sometimes. I suppose the spring is the best time, much like Thacher Park and Partridge Run, otherwise these all tend to dry up.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby vermontdreams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:35 pm

We were at Hannacroix yesterday. There was still a lot of snow and ice on the ground, and the edge of the cliff was very slippery. I'd estimate the drop at about 100 feet. We saw the view that Jeduthan posted, but it was too dangerous to get any closer.

L.G.D. - we saw what looked like a wide side ravine that led down to the creek maybe 1/3 of a mile or so to the left of the falls. It was too slippery to attempt yesterday, but is this the "way down" that you were talking about? We actually took the red trail all the way down (maybe 1 mile?) to the water but walked the rim of the ravine back to where the falls are, then back to our car. I suppose it would be easy to creek walk back up the creek in the summer.

I've also seen other pics on the internet that look like a shorter falls, does anyone know anything about that?

Joe
vermontdreams
vermontdreams
Rookie

Camera Model: Nikon D80
Challenge wins: None

Postby L_G_D » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 am

Yes, I would imagine it would be slippery this time of year, even when it's more dry, it's still not the most stable area. As I recall, I walked from the parking area to where the trail leads closest to the ravine, then walked into the woods and found a way down the ravine that wasn't too tricky, but still a bit of a scramble. It may be the side ravine you mention, I can't be sure. The first time I was there, I walked the trail down to where it crosses the stream below the ravine and then walked up to the falls, but that was summer and there was no water at all.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Return to NY Waterfall Discussion

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Click for Finger Lakes pics
Adorama Pix

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Finger Lakes pics
Adorama Pix