Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Falls of the Rensselaer Technology Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Falls of the Rensselaer Technology Park

Postby George » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:03 pm

An 8-foot plunge with nice cascades above and below the falls, this is reached by a 20-minute walk on lands owned by RPI in North Greenbush.

Tech Park 1.jpg

Tech Park 3.jpg

Be sure to check out the cascades below the falls:

Tech Park 4.jpg

The trails throughout the park are used by the public, and maps are available. The falls is off the red trail, which follows an old dirt road by the creek. If you're interested, I can send you detailed directions to get to the falls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5
Challenge wins: :star1:

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Falls of the Rensselaer Technology Park

Postby L_G_D » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Cool, another one I haven't been to - how do you get there? I know where the tech park is, on route 4, right?
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:17 am

Excellent contrast there with the fall leaves and the dark rock. Another fantastic set of photos! :up: :up:
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby George » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:43 pm

It turns out there is another, larger set of falls here. I estimate the main falls to be about 50' feet high. The trails are marked as being funded by the Environmental Protection Fund, so I'm assuming they are open to the public.

Tech Park Main Falls.jpg

Tech Park Main Falls Pano.jpg

The stream has worn down through a really loose shale that makes for some interesting scrambling

Shale & Fern.jpg

Loren - I'll send you the directions to these too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Postby L_G_D » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 am

Cool, thanks. That looks like the standard Albany shale, not sure the technical geologic term, Oriskany, maybe? I'd have to look it up, but it's all over the Albany area, and in some places can have pockets/veins of quartz crystals in it.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby George » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Here's a Google Earth shot of the main falls location. It's a short walk across the open field to a bridge and clearly marked trails to the falls. The lat and long are 42.684822 and -73.7065573 respectively. Unfortunately, the location of the smaller set is not as easily determined from Google Earth because new roads have been constructed in the area.

Matt, I'm not sure if you need locations for some of the falls I've posted, and what format is best for this. Drop me a note if you need anything for the annual update.

Tech Park Main.jpg
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Postby L_G_D » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:27 am

Looking on the aerial view on bing, there seems to be another small fall downstream a bit.

Bing map view

I did a couple screen grabs and patched them together and lightened it a bit, marked the two falls that I can see.

Be sure to make your browser window wide enough to see the whole thing.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed the img tag tot he img2 tag, which makes the image fit better
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby George » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 am

I did see that second falls, and took a mediocre shot that I didn't post. That area had a lot of brush and someone flagged the stream bank with caution tape that I didn't feel like removing and replacing, like I did for the other shots. I guess the danger of slippery rocks, flaking shale and a 20-foot drop for the lower falls wasn't self-evident.

My guesstimate for the area of the smaller set of falls is shown here in the white polygon. I was hoping that it was on a tributary that merged with the main falls stream somewhere downstream, but it looks like they are separate drainages.

Area of Second Falls.jpg

I may try to get out this weekend with the GPS to get coordinates.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Postby L_G_D » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:35 pm

There may also be some falls on the tributary to the south of the spot you have marked with the yellow pushpin. The trees are too thick to see if there might be something in there on bing. But since it follows the same hillside, there might be something in there. This weekend looks to be rainy/snowy, though maybe Sunday might be nice. I might get a chance to head over that way.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby LoFoo50 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

I was wondering you could get me hiking direction for these falls. I know where the tech park is so I just was wondering where to go from there.
LoFoo50
Rookie

Challenge wins: None

Next